Thread: Suggestions for ghost ring sights with or without rails for Remington 870?

Feedback Score

Suggestions for ghost ring sights with or without rails for Remington 870?

Got my hands on a 1998 Remington 870 Police magnum, swapped out the stock and forend with magpul, added a scattergun +2 extension and a Vang Comp follower.
    Next, its going to need new sights and a fresh coat of Cerakote.

Anyone got suggestions for some ghost rings or sights for the 870? The options for rear sights with rails are honestly quite expensive, I really wasn't expecting to be spending that much on some simple irons.

I'm currently considering the Trijicon sights and then just adding on a seperate piece that's just a rail (like the $30 Wilson Combat) when I decide if I want an optic for it.

Anyone know generally how much gun smiths charge to install sights? I don't have the machinery/ tools to drill and tap the receiver for a rear sight. I know the front sight is pretty simple and just requires epoxy.

Thanks
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Mine wears a front a post and rear aperature by Scattergun Tech with tritium inserts. Very sturdy and holds zero well. The rear aperture is quite large for speed, but 100-yd hits on a full-size silouhette are doable

Feedback Score
    All it takes is time & money.
    A ghost ring sight set can be, in rough numbers, ~$150.
    Installation could be ~$100, if you find someone you trust local to you.
    If you have to ship, consider stripping the receiver yourself and just send the receiver and barrel. It'll depend on where you're shipping from & to, but ~$60.

Knowing this, I bought my three shotguns with ghost ring sights already installed as just about anything else is bolt on or replace.

If money is tight, I'd consider a rifle-sighted barrel for ~ $200, delivered, depending on finish and choke:
    https://www.aiptactical.com/accessory---parts.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can easily install the Scattergun Technologies ghost ring sights yourself.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod12522.aspx

This is a link to some instructions:

http://rifleshooter.com/2012/07/shot...-trak-lock-ii/

Got any gearhead buddies?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Picked up a 20" Remchoke cut 870 barrel off eBay for under $125 and added a set of fiber optic sights and don't think I am giving up speed or accuracy with that set up.

On the Scattergun sights, after about 10 years the glue on front came off a friend's 870 and when replacing it he got the impression that wasn't exactly an anomaly so he replaced with a banded front from XS. If you go that route, there seems to be a lot of used good condition or new old stock Scattergun rear ghost rings on eBay for cheap for about a year now.

Sage International has pretty good ghost rings too.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 06-22-17 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some people back up the epoxy by pinning the front sight to the old front sight base. The first one I installed on an 870 had a machine screw at the rear of the front sight's ramp, we expoxy'ed and then drill and tapped for the screw, got the machine screw flush with the bore and then polished bore. This was a thick wall fixed choke barrel, with a simple bead, rather than one mounted on a ramp.

The link to the instuctions I posted above shows pinning the front sight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Send it to Nighhawk... they have the best ghosting front and rear sights with or without pic rail and will refinish the gun.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think you may need to just suck up the expense and send it out. As someone else said above I now just buy with the GR's already installed, having been in your situation too many times before. There is that XS Sights someone mentioned above, you could just install the front and worry about the rear later...that'll get you a point and shoot front.

Feedback Score
    I am in this exact dilemma! Trying to decide if I should have ghost rings mounted on my current 870 ( yes it is an express but has been stone dead reliable even with ammo known to cause most express guns to choke)
    Or just buy a new 870 police instead.