Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Fitzgerald Collision (and another: USS McCain)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    With all the modern electronics and room full of radar techs, etc would seem totally implausible the US war ship not aware of that Freighter. Money is on human error, but what could possibly make sense they'd be that close?
    From personal experience having served/lived on an aircraft carrier and battleship for two years as part of a Marine Detachment I can recall numerous occasions where sailors on deck watch were found asleep at their posts and even left their post. That may not be what happened here but I cannot imagine that the U.S. Navy has seen an increase in discipline and professionalism since the time of Reagan's 600 ship navy. I did notice that most if not all of the disciplinary actions handed down after the Fitzgerald collision were non-judicial punishment. Hell I received NJP for having two unopened cans of beer in my wall locker at 0600 on a Monday morning and a friend received a week in the brig on bread and water for getting in a fight. The deaths of several service members, hundred of millions if not a billion in damage and the strategic effect of tying up a majority of the ship repair facilities in the far east when the North Koreans, Chinese, and Russians are on the radar should require a few heads to roll in the form of summary or general court martial. If there is a lack of accountability we can only expect more of the same. Giving an 0-6 NJP then his walking papers with a generous retirement just doesn't cut it when we are losing more people to ship collisions than enemy action in Afghanistan.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    From personal experience having served/lived on an aircraft carrier and battleship for two years as part of a Marine Detachment I can recall numerous occasions where sailors on deck watch were found asleep at their posts and even left their post. That may not be what happened here but I cannot imagine that the U.S. Navy has seen an increase in discipline and professionalism since the time of Reagan's 600 ship navy. I did notice that most if not all of the disciplinary actions handed down after the Fitzgerald collision were non-judicial punishment. Hell I received NJP for having two unopened cans of beer in my wall locker at 0600 on a Monday morning and a friend received a week in the brig on bread and water for getting in a fight. The deaths of several service members, hundred of millions if not a billion in damage and the strategic effect of tying up a majority of the ship repair facilities in the far east when the North Koreans, Chinese, and Russians are on the radar should require a few heads to roll in the form of summary or general court martial. If there is a lack of accountability we can only expect more of the same. Giving an 0-6 NJP then his walking papers with a generous retirement just doesn't cut it when we are losing more people to ship collisions than enemy action in Afghanistan.
    I served when Ronald Reagan was Commander in Chief. If you don't cover your watch in a responsible manner and your ship is involved in a collision, people die, sometimes dozens of them. If you dozed off while standing watch at night or left your post, you did not have to concern yourself with what Command would do to you on a vessel at sea. Upper Command would have to protect the slacker from the crew.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Tplaycraft who love to plot intercept courses to catch air on the biggest part of your wake.
    We call 'em smokers from Waterworld.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try doing it in a 70 mph bass boat navigating through playcraft who love to plot intercept courses to catch air on the biggest part of your wake. If only I could replace the rear pedestal seat with a pintle mount and gpmg.
    Or maybe not go 70 freaking miles an hour. (oops, was that my outside voice?)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Or maybe not go 70 freaking miles an hour. (oops, was that my outside voice?)
    When one can do 70 mph (safely) on the water, one does 70 mph. Technically, 71.6 according to my GPS.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    According to Fox News they are now investigating the issue and looking for a possible "hack".

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    According to Fox News they are now investigating the issue and looking for a possible "hack".
    While a hack is possible what stops the sailors on watch from raising an alarm about a big ship getting closer and closer.

Don't know, but I'd wager this is a leadership issue that is catching up with us.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Training/Leadership would be my first guess we've had a Navy for 250 years, these problems aren't new.
    I'm not a Navy guy but Army, I have noticed a over reliance on technology to answer problems that for years were trained and ingrained in junior noncom's.
    I can't answer for the Navy, but it's troubling to observe here.

Feedback Score
    When one can do 70 mph (safely) on the water, one does 70 mph. Technically, 71.6 according to my GPS.
    Never knew that bass were that fast.....

Hack of a cargo ship is more likely
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Training/Leadership would be my first guess we've had a Navy for 250 years, these problems aren't new.
    I'm not a Navy guy but Army, I have noticed a over reliance on technology to answer problems that for years were trained and ingrained in junior noncom's.
    I can't answer for the Navy, but it's troubling to observe here.
    Good article about technology vs the human factor:

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proce...grace-god-go-i

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast