Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Fitzgerald Collision (and another: USS McCain)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My concern is that if the crew of a given US warship has insufficient training and discipline to safely navigate crowded, non-hostile waterways, how's it going to go if they have engage in combat?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    My concern is that if the crew of a given US warship has insufficient training and discipline to safely navigate crowded, non-hostile waterways, how's it going to go if they have engage in combat?
    Americans seem to have more trouble not shooting things that shooting things.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    When one can do 70 mph (safely) on the water, one does 70 mph. Technically, 71.6 according to my GPS.
    Yep. I have a couple years of on the water sheriff's lake patrol under my belt. I liked to think in my gear I looked like Bruce Willis in Striking Distance.

70mph 'safely' in waters with other craft present is a fig newton of your imagination. Let's see, you were also drinking a beer and had your PFD 'close at hand.'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Navy has eliminated the possibility of a hacked system.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Yep. I have a couple years of on the water sheriff's lake patrol under my belt. I liked to think in my gear I looked like Bruce Willis in Striking Distance.

70mph 'safely' in waters with other craft present is a fig newton of your imagination. Let's see, you were also drinking a beer and had your PFD 'close at hand.'
    PFD always on when the big motor is on, kill switch attached, throwable floatation device is right on top in the locker with the 1st Aid kit and other emergency provisions (including USACE and USCG boating pamphlets), and I have the safe boating tips sticker attached right next to the ignition. I don't drink when I fish (except Gatorade & water) and I steer very wide of other boats, which is easy to do in a faster boat. I've been doing this for over 20 years and I've never had an accident. I've been inspected by both USACE and state Lake Patrol with zero findings, which is pretty rare according to them.

I did get run into the shallows once by a jet ski and chewed up my prop. I came off plane and went to idle while steering to avoid her. She went full throttle across a peninsula in about 6-8" of water and it's a miracle she didn't kill herself. I control my boat very well, but if some moron decides to plot an intercept course, there's not much I can do to stop them.
    Last edited by glocktogo; 08-22-17 at 13:02.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    but if some moron decides to plot an intercept course, there's not much I can do to stop them.
    Fire all torpedoes and phasers? Oh wait....
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Training/Leadership would be my first guess we've had a Navy for 250 years, these problems aren't new.
    I'm not a Navy guy but Army, I have noticed a over reliance on technology to answer problems that for years were trained and ingrained in junior noncom's.
    I can't answer for the Navy, but it's troubling to observe here.
    Everyone should learn to shoot with Irons before a RDS!

I talked to a buddy about preparing to deploy. They took everyone's cellphones. Lots of his troops were late. They didn't have watches and didn't know what time it was w/o their smart phones. I bet there was a run on watches at the PX.

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Americans seem to have more trouble not shooting things that shooting things.
    Boom! Truth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    PFD always on when the big motor is on, kill switch attached, throwable floatation device is right on top in the locker with the 1st Aid kit and other emergency provisions (including USACE and USCG boating pamphlets), and I have the safe boating tips sticker attached right next to the ignition. I don't drink when I fish (except Gatorade & water) and I steer very wide of other boats, which is easy to do in a faster boat. I've been doing this for over 20 years and I've never had an accident. I've been inspected by both USACE and state Lake Patrol with zero findings, which is pretty rare according to them.
    Tourney fisherman?

PWC (aka JetSkis) are one of the biggest headaches on any lake.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Tourney fisherman?

PWC (aka JetSkis) are one of the biggest headaches on any lake.
    I used to. Made enough to pay 100% of my expenses, but not enough to make a living at it. Then the real career took too much time. Now that I have more time again, my wife and I fish as often as possible. We've been on the water 37 days so far this year. It's time away from a mad world, except in the summer when the amateurs come out of the woodwork. We try to hit the water on weekdays and very early in the morning to avoid the idiots as much as possible, but recovery at the ramp mid morning on the weekend can drive you crazy. As bad as they are on the water, they can piss you off at the ramp too.

Bringing it back around, I've been on four Navy warships and even though commercial boat operators on the open seas require licensing and certifications, I've seen some crazy stuff out there too. The closest I've been present for was a smallish Greek freighter at about 150 yards. That one was a broadside at night and the pucker factor was way high.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Leadership, negligence and complacency. How does a shark get hit by a manatee?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast