Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Fitzgerald Collision (and another: USS McCain)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Leadership, negligence and complacency. How does a shark get hit by a manatee?
    Ah yes, the human condition.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score

USS Fitzgerald Collision (and another: USS McCain)

Well, a 3 star just lost his job over these...

US Navy dismisses 7th Fleet commander after deadly mishaps
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/23...y-mishaps.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JC5188; 08-23-17 at 06:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post

Yep. Rolling heads all up and down the chain is a time-honored tradition in the US Navy. As is often the case in the military, incompetent leadership costs lives.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post

Observing the general condition of the McCain on TV last night, I immediately wondered if the Navy's budget is really that tight or if the command is too lax. Besides the hole in the boat, it looked awful.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you retire him three months before he chose to retire, other than sending him off on essentially what amounts to a ninety day vacation before he was already going to retire, what's been achieved?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Observing the general condition of the McCain on TV last night, I immediately wondered if the Navy's budget is really that tight or if the command is too lax. Besides the hole in the boat, it looked awful.

Noticed that as well. Just didn't look maintained.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    You know, that crossed my mind as well.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Still cannot get my head around these collisions. Besides electronics, doesn't the Navy still station lookouts with high power glass with night capabilities at several locations? Even if the radar and other electronics failed, its hard to imagine the sailor steering the ship as well as the lookouts could see something as big as a ship no avoid it. If the U.S. ship was stationary and the lookouts spotted a ship on a direct course to their position, why can't the engines be engaged and get the ship out of the way? Very strange indeed.....
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    unless the ships are purposely being hit and changing course to get hit etc. which would be really easy to prove the Navy is messing up big time

something is happening though and one needs to get to the bottom of it

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Still cannot get my head around these collisions. Besides electronics, doesn't the Navy still station lookouts with high power glass with night capabilities at several locations? Even if the radar and other electronics failed, its hard to imagine the sailor steering the ship as well as the lookouts could see something as big as a ship no avoid it. If the U.S. ship was stationary and the lookouts spotted a ship on a direct course to their position, why can't the engines be engaged and get the ship out of the way? Very strange indeed.....
    Not strange, at all. It has been addressed here multiple times. The human factor + Murphy = potential for massive failure. Undermanned crew means fewer watches and fewer watch stations, people at watch longer, craft don't obey rules of navigation in a channel that is full of craft, undertrained/inadequately trained crew....

The pro's in the risk business call it the Swiss cheese effect...when all the holes in the Swiss cheese line up, system failure occurs.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast