So many things wrong in the 7th fleet according to that report. Cmdr. Benson sounds like he was a good leader most times, that inherited a mess of a ship and crap caught up to him before he could fix everything. BUT, training his crew for long hours, then expecting them to perform under high risk circumstances while he sleeps because he may be over tired??!! Even as a civilian manager where lives are not at stake, I NEVER asked my staff to work longer hours than me. Even on long weekends of 24-56 hrs overtime I was always the last one out. I consider it good barometer: if I who have the most experience am not able to function reliably then my staff should have been home resting a while ago. Tasking his green officers with going 20 kts at night through congested waters is insane, especially with known faulty navigation systems.

Then there are the multiple smaller failures of officers and crew just not doing their job on watch, communicating, and using alternative means to achieve the mission.

Sadly most of the blame has to go to higher Fleet command for deploying a ship with multiple mission critical system failures and lack of required certification. How can anyone justify sending a warship to sea without reliable and accurate radar? It is useless in a fight and a danger to other warships and civilian shipping.

No US commercial ship would be allowed to sail with so many failed systems, yet the Navy exempts itself for war fighting ships!! Maybe if you are in a shooting war but just to make a show of force transit??

It looks like the Navy learned zero from the Army’s hollowing out experience in the 70s and 80s. They need to stand down every defunct ship, consolidate resources (money, sailors, equipment, parts) to run what ships they can at war fighting trim. New ships should only be added when there is a budget for their life cycle maintenance and operation. It is like they bought a fleet of Maseratis, monster trucks, Mercedes, Range Rovers but can’t afford the repairs or insurance. Down size to fit your budget. Park or sell off what you can’t afford.

If Congress doesn’t want to maintain a large Navy then live with it. But presenting the nation with a ghost fleet of derelicts and pretending they are ready for war is a betrayal of the nation. Probably too many Admirals trying to curry favor with cost cutting Congress critters and defense contractors for future job prospects.