Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Fitzgerald Collision (and another: USS McCain)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Probably had a heart attack after the collision. Fox news said he had just got the ship within the past few months. David
    Bet your right, at the very least one hell of a career ending anxiety attack.

Feedback Score
    Pics I've seen show damage to the right side of the destroyer and to the front left part of the bow on the freighter. Looks like the Fitzgerald got T-boned, with the freighter either hitting at a slight angle off 90 degrees or veering to the right at the last second.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Pics I've seen show damage to the right side of the destroyer and to the front left part of the bow on the freighter. Looks like the Fitzgerald got T-boned, with the freighter either hitting at a slight angle off 90 degrees or veering to the right at the last second.
    Also looks like that to me. It must have happened at a very slow speed. BTW.. Ships don't do any maneuvering at the last second. The container ship probably needed a mile or more to stop and a 90 degree turn may take a square mile to complete.

Feedback Score
    Anxiously awaiting the details.

I just can't see how this could happen. Were both of them being jackasses and expecting the other ship to yield?

Can anyone with maritime experience fill us in on who has the right of way in this situation? Seems like the large ship would, but that's is just a guess.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    COLREG excerpts:

> When two power-driven vessels are crossing, the vessel which has the other on the starboard side must give way and avoid crossing ahead of her.

> A power-driven vessel must give way to:
    a vessel not under command;
    a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver (this may include vessels towing one another;[19]
    a vessel engaged in fishing;
    a sailing vessel.

When I was on active duty we gave freighters a wide berth, especially at night. Freighters traveling at night are often on auto-pilot in the sea lanes and are slow to respond regardless of whether they are the give way or stand on vessel. Freighters also require a great deal of room to maneuver.

It will be interesting what the investigation reveals and the resulting ruling by a maritime board of inquiry.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    COLREG excerpts:

> When two power-driven vessels are crossing, the vessel which has the other on the starboard side must give way and avoid crossing ahead of her.

a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver (this may include vessels towing one another;[19]
    a sailing vessel.

When I was on active duty we gave freighters a wide berth, especially at night. Freighters traveling at night are often on auto-pilot in the sea lanes and are slow to respond regardless of whether they are the give way or stand on vessel. Freighters also require a great deal of room to maneuver.

It will be interesting what the investigation reveals and the resulting ruling by a maritime board of inquiry.
    Thank you for that.

So in this case, who had the right of way, given the way they collided?
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    Thank you for that.

That would depend on the position and attitude of both vessels prior to taking evasive action, so I could only speculate.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    Thank you for that.

Sounds like the freighter based on the Fitz having damage on the starboard side.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Before venturing a guess concerning who's at fault, it would be good to know, position and course of both vessels prior to closing on one another, weather conditions, if either vessel experienced equipment failure and if either or both vessels were maneuvering to avoid other maritime traffic.

It's a bit early to tell.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    COLREG excerpts:

a sailing vessel.

With all the modern electronics and room full of radar techs, etc would seem totally implausible the US war ship not aware of that Freighter. Money is on human error, but what could possibly make sense they'd be that close?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast