Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimum Barrel Build

Feedback Score

Optimum Barrel Build

Pictures taken before first time to the range. Will post update after first range day.

Thought process:
    1. Shoot soft but don't be too annoying---Use Optimum 16'' barrel in conjunction with A5 and AFAB. This is my first A5 equipped rifle.
    2. What is new---Parts were selected due to their unique design and function. Form follows function = looks cool to me.
    3. Experiment---Don't be scared of going a little outside the norm as I already have other bases covered. Buy what I want this time, not what I "need".

Build list:
    BRT Optimum 16'' Intermediate gas barrel with pinned gas block. I'm really excited about this barrel and dying to shoot it.
    Vltor MUR with V7 door cover
    ALG EMR V3 13''. I struggled to pick a handguard, but I am very glad I ended up with this one. It feels great in the hand and I like how it positions the TLR at around 1:30 o'clock
    Precision Armament AFAB with their shim
    Streamlight TLR-1 HL with remote switch with some Larue clips to hold wire.
    Bastard BCG (BCM carrier, DD bolt, Colt everything else including FP, cam pin, gold extractor spring, retaining pin) I had a spare BCM carrier sitting around.
    BCM CH (the small one is the only one to have IMO)
    V7 lower, and mostly V7 lower parts. I really really dig the looks of the lower, and the flared magwell is nice. The small parts are beautifully made. Despite having a V7 lower and some of their parts, I was not trying to build a lightweight rifle. I don't like rifles to be too light. This is in my opinion an optimally weighted rifle and it balances perfectly.
    Geiselle SD-E - yes please
    Vltor A5 RE with A5H3 buffer and Vltor spring
    B5 Sopmod - It is what I am used to and this may never change.
    BFH sling pillaged from another rifle.
    Trijicon Accupower 1-4 with red segmented circle, in NF unimount. Also stolen from another rifle, perhaps temporarily, perhaps not.
    Magpul MBUS Pro

Last edited by P2000; 12-23-17 at 19:03. Reason: photobucket is deleted forever. Now using Imgur

Feedback Score
    Please do give an update on that barrel, I've been kicking around ideas of what to do with some spare parts and this is very close to what I was thinking. Looks like a great rifle!
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That is indeed a very sweet looking build with some nice parts. Please give us an update after shooting it.

You said that you weren't particularly interested in a lightweight build, but I'm still curious how much the rifle weighs with scope and light. Have you weighed it yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Johnson View Post
    Please do give an update on that barrel, I've been kicking around ideas of what to do with some spare parts and this is very close to what I was thinking. Looks like a great rifle!
    Thanks, Im excited to see how she shoots. I will update but it may take a while to get to the range.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    That is indeed a very sweet looking build with some nice parts. Please give us an update after shooting it.

You said that you weren't particularly interested in a lightweight build, but I'm still curious how much the rifle weighs with scope and light. Have you weighed it yet?
    Thank you. Without a mag or sling, 8.4#. It balances 1/2" behind the front lip of the magwell so it doesn't feel that heavy when shouldered.
    Last edited by P2000; 06-27-17 at 21:15. Reason: Updated weight. Bathroom scale sucks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looking forward to your shooting impressions.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's a beautiful build and should be a very soft shooter between the barrel, A5H3 and AFAB.

The pictures don't show it, but but the balance sounds great, even for an 8 1/2 pound rifle!
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That's a beautiful build and should be a very soft shooter between the barrel, A5H3 and AFAB.

The pictures don't show it, but but the balance sounds great, even for an 8 1/2 pound rifle!
    Thanks. I'm planning on hitting the range in the morning. Can't wait.

Feedback Score
    Just got back from the range. Shot 200 rounds total of 77gr reloads, PMC bronze and PMC x-tac. Zero malfunctions. Shoots really smoothly and the sights barely move. Recoil wise on par with or slightly better than my sr-15 with battlecomp and carbine re. Accuracy was acceptable but not great. The weird thing is my reloads didn't group any better than either PMC. I'd say 2 moa. Its also a brand new barrel and groups may improve. I might try loading up some 69gr to see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Beautiful rifle, I'm doing my first A5 equipped rifle as well (now that the UBR 2.0 is out in the wild) and have an AFAB to go on an 18" Stealth barrels. Did you try an A5H2 buffer at all or just go straight to the A5H3? Planning on a Sprinco green spring, but am questioning which buffer to go with. Trying to avoid starting a collection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast