Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do the Trijicon RMR's experience thermal drift?

Feedback Score
    I had a RMR screen fog up in a high humidity situation and since it was dusk, it made the dot scatter, becoming unusuable.
    I found wiping the screen only slightly improved the visibility. After that incident, my nine month try out ended on top of a Glock 19. The RMR had too many compromises for me such as wiping down a RMR screen on a loaded Glock in a crisis situation .

That said, no actual thermal shift was discerned, just a totally obscured view.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I had a RMR screen fog up in a high humidity situation and since it was dusk, it made the dot scatter, becoming unusuable.
    I found wiping the screen only slightly improved the visibility. After that incident, my nine month try out ended on top of a Glock 19. The RMR had too many compromises for me such as wiping down a RMR screen on a loaded Glock in a crisis situation .

That said, no actual thermal shift was discerned, just a totally obscured view.
    Sounds like you need catcrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Sounds like you need catcrap.

RMR 07 - It had a RainX prophylaxis on the screen when the fogging occurred, which was the recommendation at that time to make removing debris easier and preventing fogging.The environment was a very low lying patch of marshy ground with dew point conditions at dusk. Also humid from AIWB in 90 degree heat.

Maybe Catcrap would have helped versus RainX. The blue tint on the RMR was an issue at dusk usually, but a total Charlie Foxtrot when fogged. The dot scatter reflection made it difficult to look over the RMR and use the horns to frame the target.

The fog was impossible to wipe off, likely due to the atmospheric conditions and a hot gun. I also verified it was not debris in the emitter channel, which I thought was an initial cause.

Relative to this OP's query, this is why I sold the RMR rather than putting on a rifle.
    I found a fogging situation where it was totally worse than having nothing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah he didn't ask about fogging. He asked about drift.

RainX is a no-no on optics. It contains chemicals that penetrate lens coatings. It says right on the package "Not for use on coated lenses". What happened is that the RainX penetrated your lens coatings making the surface abrasive; therefore impossible to just "wipe" off.

I've been carrying an RMR gun for 2 years and using catcrap. I live in one of the most humid areas in the country. I've not experienced fog with proper application of catcrap once every few months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12