Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CHROME LINED BARREL BREAK IN PROCEDURE

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    About 300 rounds should polish the chrome.
    I have read this advice, and, considering the hardness of the materials involved, it makes sense to me.

I have heard that this is the break in advice given from Bushmaster. The Bushmaster source states that cleaning/lubricating during this break in process will not hurt, but will prolong polishing by lessening the bullet friction in a CL barrel.

I have a healthy skepticism of all things Internet, but I do not have the equipment or knowledge to bore scope barrels during the process of wear. I just have to go with some knowledge of chemistry and physics, and this break in for CL barrels does seem logical and correct.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Oy, vey!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    Clean it then shoot it.
    This. Most new barrels will have crud in the bore, crud that might actually damage the barrel. Do a quick cleaning - nothing fancy is needed - then just shoot it.

Feedback Score
    Well, many chrome lined barrels in my experience tend to shoot better after being burnished in a bit. For possible precision(ish) roles, I do treat those barrels differently than a LMG barrel or similar. For either, I begin with a cleaning of the base barrel, after that some things may be possibly done differently. On a common non precision role or LMG, I just shoot away with normal ammunition. For something that may take a more precise role in whatever fashion for a chrome lined bore, I try to use loadings that reduce: peak temps and pressures, excess copper and carbon fouling, etc.. I don't see any gain from burning the throat or port if I don't have to, nor do I see a gain by covering the rifling with a layer of excess copper and/or carbon if I want to burnish the base barrel surface. No ammunition selection is perfect, and cleaning would be dictated by characteristics of what was chosen. Typically, for a possible precision role, I'm starting off with lighter loads of selected low erosion powders with selected GM jacket projectiles that have a tendency to reduce fouling over others.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I used to be a boresnake and shoot kinda guy, then I got a chrome lined barrel shooting poorly. It was a good barrel, not a cheapie. I took it home and hoppes9 and brushed and patched it really well. Next range outing, it was shooting near 1moa. Group sizes literally cut in half. Been shooting like that ever since.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    That video never gets old. Puts things into perspective...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I called LMT & spoke with Gene when I bought my first LMT. He said that chrome in the barrel is too hard to be affected by any of the methods commonly used, he said shoot it & have fun.

Feedback Score
    Is hard chrome erosion not perceptible, it does happen. There are ways that we can benefit with a base and reduce the negatives.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I used to be a boresnake and shoot kinda guy, then I got a chrome lined barrel shooting poorly. It was a good barrel, not a cheapie. I took it home and hoppes9 and brushed and patched it really well. Next range outing, it was shooting near 1moa. Group sizes literally cut in half. Been shooting like that ever since.
    Hoppes 9, a man's cologne. I have used Hoppes9 for years with very good results.
    Last edited by SiGfever; 06-19-17 at 10:31.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast