Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CHROME LINED BARREL BREAK IN PROCEDURE

Feedback Score

CHROME LINED BARREL BREAK IN PROCEDURE

Hi all:
    I've got a Green Mountain 16" barrel for an AR coming in. The barrel is chrome lined. I've gotten online and seen that everyone has a different idea on how to break in a new barrel. I read one where the guy said that chrome lined barrels don't need to be broken in as the chrome is so hard it doesn't need it.
    So, I'd like to get some opinions on this.

Thanks for replies

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just shoot it.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Barrels don't know the difference. Just shoot it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well you could start off with a good cleaning, followed by a blood sacrafice under a full moon, followed by the blessing of a witch doctor with the eye of a wolf, and foot or a crow, then sanctify it with purified water. After that you then fire one and clean for 13 rounds, then fire 9 5 round groups cleaning in between. You are then broken in and should be safe against lycanthropes.

Or you could, as others have said, just shoot it. A CL barrel isn't a precision barrel generally and I am assuming OP that you aren't setting it up as a precision rig I wouldn't worry and just shoot it like all the other CL and chromemoly barrels and haven't had any issues that I can detect. All are in the 2MOA or less range with decent ammo and never had more tgan 4x magnifaction on the rifles, a better scope I'd bet would cut size some for me since I'd be able to be a bit more precise, but the rifles really aren't set up for it. I might be inclined to run a break in on a dedicated precision rig, but GP I wouldn't worry. That said if you follow the break in I suggested let me know how it performs. Lol.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    "Well you could start off with a good cleaning, followed by a blood sacrafice under a full moon, followed by the blessing of a witch doctor with the eye of a wolf, and foot or a crow, then sanctify it with purified water".

You forgot to add: "eye of newt" - and I don't mean Gingrich.

Feedback Score
    Clean it then shoot it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just received another GM barrel and noticed the break in instructions. Although the instructions do not mention what type of barrel is involved, I agree with the above that break in for CL barrels is a "tits on a bull" issue -- completely useless. The instructions appear to be for their non-CL barrels, where some break in might make sense (depending on your view). The only sense I can see with break in to to promote consistent fouling, which may make a barrel more accurate at the end of a benchrest string (i.e., at shot 5 of a 5 shot string between the compulsive cleanings benchrest shooters are known for, no offense).

But then there is this late expert's view:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

Follow the link at the end of the article, and you will acquire more info than you ever wanted about why break in is not the "be all and end all" of rifle use.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullins223 View Post

You forgot to add: "eye of newt" - and I don't mean Gingrich.
    Lol.
    Naw man, that the procedure for a barrel for hunting witches and spectral forces not the lycanthropes.
    Lol.
    Last edited by Kain; 06-18-17 at 12:56.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score

About 300 rounds should polish the chrome.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here's my break-in procedure:

Shoot it. When it starts to become inaccurate, clean it.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast