Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot peening

Feedback Score

Shot peening

Back in 1968 there was a proposal (by Colt, apparently) to shot peen both upper and lower receivers to "provide a more durable finish and to aid in the prevention of
    exfoliation and inter-granular corrosion". It seems this was never approved by the Army, but looking at it in 2017 would this make sense or is it just something that was impractical/theoretical?

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA953121
    Last edited by Slater; 06-18-17 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    It might be "better" but you can't justify the cost. What real benefit would it provide?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It might be "better" but you can't justify the cost. What real benefit would it provide?
    The cost would be minimal. Shot peening is similar to sandblasting but beads of steel or ceramic are used. The beads don't abrade the surface they peen, work harden and stress relieve the metal's surface. Having said that I can't see it even being worth a dollar for a somewhat disposable receiver set. Maybe Colt would benefit from doing it to their civilian receivers... It would probably improve the shitty aesthetics Colt is famous for.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Back in 1968 there was a proposal (by Colt, apparently) to shot peen both upper and lower receivers to "provide a more durable finish and to aid in the prevention of
    exfoliation and inter-granular corrosion". It seems this was never approved by the Army, but looking at it in 2017 would this make sense or is it just something that was impractical/theoretical?

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA953121
    3/4 of that document looks more like *please waver our qc faux pas*

Feedback Score
    That's an old document that was a proposal to reduce displacement that could have been done in other ways, compared to some better options that we've seen already. Old news.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    That's an old document that was a proposal to reduce displacement that could have been done in other ways, compared to some better options that we've seen already. Old news.
    True, but I'd never heard that they wanted to shot peen anything other than the bolt.

Feedback Score
    No, they offered that option. It was less of a cure and more of delay. Today, we have better options.

Feedback Score
    Well, something must be working. I've never heard of "exfoliation and inter-granular corrosion" being much of an issue with the M16/M4 family.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It was a problem when early AR receivers were made from 6061 forgings
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Slater;2505874]Back in 1968 there was a proposal (by Colt, apparently) to shot peen both upper and lower receivers to "provide a more durable finish and to aid in the prevention of

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA953121[/QUOTE

The dimples caused by Shot Peening also create more surface area for coatings to bond to the part.

In addition to the bolt, the extractor is also peened. In a addition to increased fatigue life peeing also helps lubricants stay of the parts surface further preventing wear. Http://Peeningtechnologiesga.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast