Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell hardness on finishes

Feedback Score

Rockwell hardness on finishes

Caveat: please save me the inevitable "You don't need to clean that" when it comes to the bolt tail. I do and will continue to do so. This is a technical question.

Was looking at a company called TR-Enabling and a finish they have called Obsidian. They do a mil-spec BCG in it. It is a nickel-Teflon finish but has a Rockwell hardness of 70 (NP3 has a Rockwell of ~ 50). Now having spoken to Robar a few years ago I found out that using a brass/bronze bore brush to remove the bolt tail carbon deposits on NP3 is a no-go. So is the trusted old green scratchy pads we used in the Army. Have to use a nylon bore brush, and it takes a while to get my NP3 bolt tail spotless using that. My hard chrome bolts, where I can use a brass/bronze bore brush or scratchy pad, clean up really quick.

1) What is the Rockwell hardness of brass or bronze bore brush bristles?

2) I assume you can use a brush with a lesser Rockwell hardness on something with a higher one without removing the finish, right?

I'll bet tom12.7 has a slew of info! (hint hint)
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Caveat: please save me the inevitable "You don't need to clean that" when it comes to the bolt tail. I do and will continue to do so. This is a technical question.

Was looking at a company called TR-Enabling and a finish they have called Obsidian. They do a mil-spec BCG in it. It is a nickel-Teflon finish but has a Rockwell hardness of 70 (NP3 has a Rockwell of ~ 50). Now having spoken to Robar a few years ago I found out that using a brass/bronze bore brush to remove the bolt tail carbon deposits on NP3 is a no-go. So is the trusted old green scratchy pads we used in the Army. Have to use a nylon bore brush, and it takes a while to get my NP3 bolt tail spotless using that. My hard chrome bolts, where I can use a brass/bronze bore brush or scratchy pad, clean up really quick.

1) What is the Rockwell hardness of brass or bronze bore brush bristles?

2) I assume you can use a brush with a lesser Rockwell hardness on something with a higher one without removing the finish, right?

I'll bet tom12.7 has a slew of info! (hint hint)
    The typical copper alloys mentioned are measured using rockwell b scale, and fall in 55 to 90s.

Rockwell c is used for steels and hard materials, it used a different indenting device.

I really doubt brass or copper would do anything to np3, bronze I'm not sure. The metallic brush might take out any ptfe exposed on the surface but I'd imagine the nickel would protect everything else.

You could always try a Mr clean magic eraser.

Edit- is np3 has to be c scale right? A softer material will wear down a harder one over time, it just takes a long time.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-18-17 at 16:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    The typical copper alloys mentioned are measured using rockwell b scale, and fall in 55 to 90s.

Rockwell c is used for steels and hard materials, it used a different indenting device.

I really doubt brass or copper would do anything to np3, bronze I'm not sure. The metallic brush might take out any ptfe exposed on the surface but I'd imagine the nickel would protect everything else.

You could always try a Mr clean magic eraser.

Edit- is np3 has to be c scale right? A softer material will wear down a harder one over time, it just takes a long time.
    Hmmm.....off to Google.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I just use a paper towel and g96 clp. My sr25 bolt tail is a mirror. Chrome though. As to that np3 bcg...the locking lugs interface under many psi pressure with steel barrel extension, and the "skids" slide across type iiia ano with impunity...and robar says a copper brush is the devil? One of their claims...is not like the other.
    Last edited by WS6; 06-18-17 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I sent a pm to the OP.

Feedback Score
    This was a "tech" I spoke to at Robar, not the owner or anything! He just said that using nylon brushes was optimal......but did say nichts on the bore brush or green scratchy pads.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I've often times wondered what the long term affects of running say a Nitrided or NicB carrier group in a standard anodized upper. If it wears pre-maturely or not.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I scrape the crap outta my bolt tails with a pick or jeweler's screw driver regardless of finish type. Standard bolts often rub to bare metal there on their own anyway.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I've often times wondered what the long term affects of running say a Nitrided or NicB carrier group in a standard anodized upper. If it wears pre-maturely or not.
    Based on 3500 or so rounds I have on my setup, no, not really.

Feedback Score
    I had emailed the guys who do the Obsidian, TR-Enabling, with the very question I asked in the OP. Here is their response:

"You can use a brass brush however we would recommend using a standard plastic ap brush".

Not sure what an "ap" brush is. Nonetheless, it appears using a brass brush is not recommended.

tom12.7 likes hard chrome and so do I; you can see the dirt and use anything to get it off there.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast