Thread: My Precision AR

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My Precision AR

Last month I got a wild hair and decided to reconfigure one of my AR-15's into a more precision oriented rig. Between my Recce and my 2-Gun rifle I loved the Recce too much to cannibalize it so the stock and BUIS from the 2-Gun rifle moved over to the Recce and I went to work. The impetuous for all of this was signing up for the PRS Gas Gun Match in July at PNTC, in years past I just competed and did quite well with my Recce in both the big matches and the smaller ones. However, I felt that for the PRS match I'd want a little more barrel and more optic to deal with the extended ranges and potentially smaller targets.

The specs be the following:

Aero Precision Lower
    Stag LPK
    Geissele SSA-E
    BCM Grip
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
    BCM Intermediate RE
    Vltor A5H0 Buffer and Spring
    BCM End Plate
    Vltor E-Mod Stock

BCM Blem Upper
    BCM BCG
    BCM Mod4 Charging Handle
    BCM KMR-13A
    BCM Aluminum Pic Rails
    BCM Rail Covers
    BCM Sling Mounts
    Rainier Arms 18" RLGS SPR Barrel 1:8
    Rainier Arms SS RL Gas Tube
    BCM Low Pro Gas Block
    Damage Industries Flash Hider
    Magpul MBUS Pro Offset Front and Rear Sights
    Nightforce 3.5-15X50 F1
    Nightforce Unimount
    ADM Bipod Mount
    Harris 6-9 Bipod

I took it out a few weeks ago to get zeroed and get some rough dope and this thing impressed from the very first shot. I love these RA barrels, super accurate out of the gate with no break in. The pic is shots 30-35 I think and sit at 3/4 MOA with 77 gr Razor Core. Shots at 200, 300, and 478 were too easy. I'm taking it out again this weekend to get dope out to longer ranges but so far no issues whatsoever as far as reliability is concerned.

Last edited by Long Range Trigger Monkey; 06-18-17 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    Looks good. I wish there were prs style matches in my area.

Any reason you went with a flash hider instead of a brake?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The flash hider is temporary, I'm working out what I want to do muzzle brake wise. I have a Surefire ProComp that was on the barrel that came off of this rifle but I'm not sure if I want to stick it back on or find something else. I'm looking at JP brakes, Precision Firearms, PRI, Griffin Armament, they're all in the running but it'll have a brake on there come match time.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    One heck of a nice build.

The JP three port works well
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Damn, that gun shoots!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So a little bit of an update, I took this rifle out to a long range challenge yesterday and even though I normally take one of my bolt guns I decided to take this rifle to gather dope on it from 400 to 800+ yards. The match was broken up into five stages of five targets, the closest target being 462 yards and the farthest was 870 yards. The conditions yesterday could've been better for collecting data as we were treated to some gnarly winds that liked to switch directions on a whim with some good gusts thrown in for fun. Getting on target at any of the ranges wasn't easy, none of them were gimme shots, especially with a .223 and I had no illusions that I would be able hang as well as the bolt gun dudes shooting 6.5CM and the like. That being said JBM's calculations were very close all the way out to 800 and as long as I got the wind call correct I was able to connect with the steel.

My farthest hit was 870 yards with 9.5 mils dialed in holding, surprisingly, only .4 mils of wind. I also had a hit at 860 yards with only .3 mils of wind. Earlier in the day though when we shot a "close stage" with targets from 462 to 507 I scored my hits on all five targets holding about 2 mils of wind. After the match the wind gods smiled upon us and the wind started to die down so a friend and I stayed behind to use up some extra ammo and get in some extra range time. At 200, 300, 574, and 811 yards this gun was hammer and if I missed, it as something that I did not the rifle's fault.

The IMI Razor Core 77 gr ammunition was very consistent all day and the JBM calculations were pretty much spot on at all ranges so even though I may not have placed well it was a very productive day. One change that I'll be making to my set up is to get an A5H2 buffer, I noticed throughout the day that my brass was landing consistently at 2 o'clock, other than that I was super happy with my set up. I wish I'd taken some pics and video of the day, that would've been awesome.