Thread: xm80c high pressures?

Feedback Score

xm80c high pressures?

My wife bought me a Savage MSR-10 for my birthday, and since I didn't have and 308 around i bought a few boxes of Federal xm80c. I noticed that all the round that were fired have the primers cratered like the one in the picture. I haven't had a chance to try and other ammo with the rifle yet. But is that normal for xm80c to do that? the brass all looks fine other than the primers.
    IMG_20170608_080735747.jpg

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That crap , like xm193, is silly hot. We shot it against MEN .308, and the come ups were wildly different. XM is loaded like bolt gun ammo. Plus, the bi metal bullet makes this ammo a no win. Also the primer pockets are pretty blown out on the first firing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That said, I don't see anything too bad on your case head. Rem 700s have primer flow like that on the mildest of loads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefDementia View Post
    My wife bought me a Savage MSR-10 for my birthday, and since I didn't have and 308 around i bought a few boxes of Federal xm80c. I noticed that all the round that were fired have the primers cratered like the one in the picture. I haven't had a chance to try and other ammo with the rifle yet. But is that normal for xm80c to do that? the brass all looks fine other than the primers.
    IMG_20170608_080735747.jpg
    All that means is the firing pin hole in the bolt face in your Savage is a larger diameter than the firing pin. There are two cures for this, one is to have the bolt face bushed with a smaller diameter hole in the bolt face. The second is a larger diameter firing pin, ask your question at http://www.savageshooters.com/ for the simplest cure.

Below is the type bevel I have in my Remington 700 bolt face that causes the same problem.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never had a reason to fix the FP hole in the rem 700 bolt. It's a little annoying when standing brass on the bench. But I don't want to pay to modify the bolt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That crap , like xm193, is silly hot. We shot it against MEN .308, and the come ups were wildly different. XM is loaded like bolt gun ammo. Plus, the bi metal bullet makes this ammo a no win. Also the primer pockets are pretty blown out on the first firing.
    Say what? Ever time I've chronied Federal XM80 it's been well within government specs. The primer pockets are crimped.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Say what? Ever time I've chronied Federal XM80 it's been well within government specs. The primer pockets are crimped.
    Not sure. I don't know specs like I do 5.56. All I know is that stuff was way hotter than MEN.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not sure. I don't know specs like I do 5.56. All I know is that stuff was way hotter than MEN.
    At 10 ft, like most of us civilian users have, keep it at 2800 FPS or just under. I could dig out the specs but it's late and let's just say the chorny distance is a bit further out than 10 ft. I did test mine through an M1A, both factory and reloads.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can't remember the exact difference, but at 640 yards, there was nearly 2 mils difference in come up.