Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Height for a Reloading Bench?

Feedback Score

Ideal Height for a Reloading Bench?

All-

The bad part about moving to a new house is not much furniture. In fact, mine has no work benches or anything.

The good news? I get to build my own!

Since I'm building from the ground up, I'm looking to custom build my reloading bench. I've got most details worked out with shelving, but am torn on what height I want to build it. Desk height is what I'm used to, but it caused me to hunch over after a long night of reloading.

What height is your reloading bench?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mine is kitchen counter top height (did kitchen remodel 2 years ago and kept the bases and cabinets for renovated reloading room). Height would be determined by Dillon on strong mount. Too tall and it interferes with florescent lights and results in limited access to powder measure. Too short and handle stroke feels unnatural.

38"
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 05-24-17 at 21:40. Reason: Actual measurement

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not going to be a huge help on definite height, but I would say it depends on how you reload. And your personal body type, height, ect. I know guys who reload standing up, as well as those who sit. I generally sit down, but this is me. Also, what type of chair do you use? It is a regular chair, a stool, how high is the chair or stool? Then how long of a handle are you manipulating, and how does that work with you body build. I think you get where I am going with this, it depends. I have a reloading set up that is basically at a regular table height in a standard chair, it works for me, but it might not work for you if for not other reason than different arm lengths.

What I would suggest, if you are building the reloading bench, is to grab some tables, or what have you, and do a couple mock ups to see what works best for you and your general reloading posture, be that sitting or standing, and then figure how to build it around you.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    If you have a adjustable chair that moves up and down then hight isn't critical. I built my bench from plans and it turned out to be a monster and I ended up shortening the legs.

Bottom line if the legs are too long you can cut them down, and if you make the table too short your screwed. I sit when loading and seldom stand so start at waist hight and go from there.

I built my bench like the one pictured below and the table hight ended up higher than waist level and I shortened the legs.

You assemble the table upside down and I built it according to the plans. "BUT" after it was assembled and flipped over I realized the Jolly Green Giant would like the table and I'm 6'2".
    Last edited by bigedp51; 05-24-17 at 22:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Not going to be a huge help on definite height, but I would say it depends on how you reload. And your personal body type, height, ect. I know guys who reload standing up, as well as those who sit. I generally sit down, but this is me. Also, what type of chair do you use? It is a regular chair, a stool, how high is the chair or stool? Then how long of a handle are you manipulating, and how does that work with you body build. I think you get where I am going with this, it depends. I have a reloading set up that is basically at a regular table height in a standard chair, it works for me, but it might not work for you if for not other reason than different arm lengths.

What I would suggest, if you are building the reloading bench, is to grab some tables, or what have you, and do a couple mock ups to see what works best for you and your general reloading posture, be that sitting or standing, and then figure how to build it around you.
    This is the plan for now. In the mean time, I don't exactly have any spare tables... I'm in the process of building a good bit of the furniture for the house

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    If you have a adjustable chair that moves up and down then hight isn't critical. I built my bench from plans and it turned out to be a monster and I ended up shortening the legs.

Bottom line if the legs are too long you can cut them down, and if you make the table too short your screwed. I sit when loading and seldom stand so start at waist hight and go from there.

I built my bench like the one pictured below and the table hight ended up higher than waist level and I shortened the legs.

You assemble the table upside down and I built it according to the plans. "BUT" after it was assembled and flipped over I realized the Jolly Green Giant would like the table and I'm 6'2".
    Looks great. Not very different from the one I'm planning (except mine will be 8' wide as it will be doing double duty with metallic and shuttle reloading).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Depends on the press and the desired position. I use a standard work bench with a dillon mount that raises the 550b well above the bench height. But I have to sit on an object to run my single stage presses on that same bench.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Mine is 42" tall. I'm 6'0".

I use a standing desk (for deskwork) and it's 43" tall.

Standing, or on a barstool or in an architect's chair, that's about perfect.

Bonus: A taller work surface means more storage underneath.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I purchased and couple of these.

http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/-[GAWB08BAZW]-1700181/GAWB08BAZW/

An 8' for my reloading bench and a 6' for my desk. I have the 8' one sitting just about 40" and the 6' at 30". I have an adjustable chair that I can raise/lower at each table. I have my reloading gear on the tall table. I have a single stage I can lower my chair and operate or stand and operate.

My 550 is on a strong mount and it too works fine if I raise my chair or stand.

Nice thing about these is the bolted adjustments, but also the 2" diameter adjustable feet for leveling the table will also allow you to cheat height a little too.

You can either order them direct or go through lowes. Watch the web site as they run specials. It was cheaper too get it shipped to my door from the factory, but I already had the order placed with lowes. Plus I had a place to return it if needed.

I am just shy of 6'.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 05-25-17 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I had mine with Strongmount and 550 on a Steelcase credenza at about 32" but I'm short. Also the credenza was about 28", then I put a 3/4 top of plywood on that. Then I took squares of 3/4 ply the same size as the Strongmount base and shimmed it up to where I liked it. so 3/4" increments.

If I did it again I would only shim the flange part of the base. You just gain a little more cleaning room or storage under the press that way.

In fact if you it that way, and bolt the whole ordeal down to the table top, you can remove it easily if need be. You could put inserts in your bench top. Then just bolt the whole press with risers to it.

that way if you needed your bench for long stock work or whatever, you have it. sort of like swapping out a toolhead but instead the whole press. So the press is afixed to it's riser base by the 4 bolts recessed up into the riser base. Then riser base could be secured by say three large bolts into the top of the bench.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast