Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire XH15 Initial Impressions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Surefire XH15 Initial Impressions

Didnt see much end user feedback on this light or substantial information beyond a few SHOT pics, so here's a bit of insight I wish I would have had.

I opted to try this guy out as a compromise between my trusty X300 which had ample output but was hardly slim/IWB-friendly and an XC1 which would have certainly disappeared easily in pants, but not met consumers' ever-increasing output expectations, and possibly involved shadow in the beam when mounted on this particular blaster due to its totally necessary comp. I am slowly coming around to believing in building separate guns for separate purposes, as compromises rarely seem to satisfy me. This is certainly the case here, where this turned out to be a far bulkier light than I anticipated. Thats the key point Id like to convey: This is not much of an improvement over an X300U size wise- and it puts out barely half the light.

At this honeymoon stage in my relationship with this light, I find myself wanting to discuss its purpose with Surefire's designers. I say that as a decade-long Surefire fanboy. It is neither compact nor nearly as powerful as its very similarly sized big brother. Im left to guess that they prioritized design objectives like compatibility with their Masterfire holster, which I will never use, or host weapons other than a smallframe Glock, which also is of little importance to me and, I think, the majority of the defensive handgun community.

It is slimmer than an X300, I dont mean to be putting it on undue blast.

The lack of the X300s telltale corners at the front of its battery compartment helps immensely in smoothing out the overall package- but its switch is the same width and it actually sits further down and forward on this gen 3 17 frame than an X300 and certainly further than necessary. It could be tucked tighter up against a Glock frame enough to make a difference in ease of carry. It puts me in mind of 80's style optics, lights and lasers: attached, but far from integrated. Much as I dont believe in being nit picky with a weapon's feel, (theyre tools first and foremost, if function followed form we wouldnt be adding lights to them at all), as any 1911-advocate will tell you, a weapons feel is important, and in this day and age of streamlining and optimization, the XH15 makes me feel like blasting Whitesnake in a boxy hatchback with a massive neon decal on the side declaring "TURBO." That is, its spacing away from the weapon feels fairly outdated. Check out this sweet gap between the trigger guard and switch. Unfamiliar wasted space.

In short, I dont feel its unreasonable to be underwhelmed by a slimmed-down light that is not actually compact. And if it wasnt meant to be compact... Then, Im sorry, but what was the overall project goal again?

Its switch is held on by a very X300-style hinge at the rear and bottom of the light- but the switch does not swing open at all. The crenelations on the bezel are engaged by an included flat wrench which unscrews the LED assembly and the battery goes in the front. So, again. What was the purpose of this minor extra material forming the hinge? There was no other way to attach the switch assembly to the light body? The mounting screw for the light could not have been countersunk? These may be mountains out of molehills, but taken together there just seem to be a few things they could have easily done to make this slim light actually slim.

Speaking of its switch, it is constant-on only. No X300 style momentary press functionality. Additionally, it is, at least now in its fairly new state, stiff enough to require the use of two hands to operate: one to brace the weapon, one to operate the light switch, however you prefer to work that out. On the positive side, light discipline will be good, I suppose... That said, as a long time X300 user Im not particularly happy with the technique shift. And on that note, Surefire now offers the X300 with momentary and constant on functionality, the XH15 with constant on only, and the XC1 with its crossbar switch. I understand its a bit verboten to question industry experts and all, but again, why such inconsistency?

XC1 for comparison:

Beam pattern comparison:
    Malkoff MDC with Cree XP-G2 rated at 250 lumens OTF:

XH15 rated at 350 Lumens:

Malkoff:

XH15:

Overall I dont mean to be too caustic. Its a Surefire. It will work hell or high water. Thats what matters. Ill deal with the marginal bulk and wait for them to develop something smaller and brighter in the next few years.

This weapon's grip is in the middle of being prepared for laser engraving.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the review. I didn't know anything about the XH15 but I do now. I'll be sticking to my X300U-B.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wise choice. Gold standards exist for a reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm really surprised at how surefire is not innovating in the ways you'd like to think they would. First the XH15, which, as far as I can tell, is innovative only in the way that it mounts to surefire's weird and cumbersome proprietary holster. Then you have the $450+ new Scouts that...have a new mount most of us will trash anyways? I wonder who they are actually trying to appeal to...

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    This light was designed with one purpose in mind and only one. To interface on a cheaper level with their proprietary holster. It was never conceived of to perform the specifics you wanted I don't think.

Researching the holster and the 300UH are what led me to this light. And if I'm understanding what I've read accurately this cheaper light will auto activate when you draw from there Masterfire holster. You can deactivate that feature on the 300UH. I hope that's not right. I don't want to have a piece of equipment turning on when it decides I need it on.

I think you said it best when you commented about it being for a holster you'll never use. That was this products mark. And as far as the XC series or the APL it was never meant to compete with those products.

For an average light user it may not be for them. But I could definitely see myself running this or the 300UH with an ALG six second mount or a suppressed pistol with or without a red dot.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    Thanks for the review. I didn't know anything about the XH15 but I do now. I'll be sticking to my X300U-B.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I am genuinely curious as to why choose the use of the 19 as a base platform with the X300U combined with an extended magazine, instead of the larger 17 model?
    The U-B is not as QD as the U-A, so is it intended as a more modular base with accessories that may be used on other base platforms?
    Just curious...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Surefire seems to be following the same business model as Glock, who followed Colt’s model so well they seem to have surpassed them in mediocrity and become the epitome of resting on one’s laurels.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Please do not take this the wrong way, but I am genuinely curious as to why choose the use of the 19 as a base platform with the X300U combined with an extended magazine, instead of the larger 17 model?
    The U-B is not as QD as the U-A, so is it intended as a more modular base with accessories that may be used on other base platforms?
    Just curious...
    Some people shoot 19s better than 17s.

I know I do.

Feedback Score
    While I have noted that some users have performed better with 19 vs the 17 line when stripped down into basics, but I have also noted to the trend that accessory combinations that added to dimensional values to that base have been more in favor of the larger base platform in general. That does take into account usage and familiarity to that platforms involved, not going in blind, or less than familiar. There are other variables that could be included for the longer than 17, i.e. 34, 17L that are beyond the base of this scope.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Just curious...
    No offense taken, it's a perfectly valid question. The G17 is unnecessarily large in grip length for me and does not shoot any better in my hands, in fact the G17 grip fits my hand more poorly than the G19. I'm originally a 1911 guy so even the G19 grip angle still sucks but adapt and overcome right? The G19 is just the most efficient Glock package for me, and probably many other based on its popularity. In fact I only bought the G19 to see what all the hype was about.
    The Magpul 21-round mag just happened to be in it for the picture but the 21-rounders are my range and training mags, and they would still stick out on a G17. But I carry it with an OEM 15-round mag in place and sometimes the 21-round Magpul is a reload in one of my pockets.
    I chose the Surefire X300U-B because I also have an X300U-A and prefer the mounting system of the B model. I've collected dozens of Surefire lights over the years and I have no idea what "modular base with accessories" you are talking about. The X300 is disproportionately large for the G19 but there are not any smaller flashlights that are as rugged or provide the performance of the X300 Ultra so the bulk of it just comes with the territory. And it's not much better on a G17, it still looks too big for the gun until you step up to the Glock 34 in which case the flashlight is now flush with the muzzle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast