Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get it sharp!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Get it sharp!

Looking for suggestions on sharpening systems, stone sets, etc...

I have not used a good stone set since my dad died in 2008. I have used diamond ezlap stick for years and have had decent success at achieving a good working edge. My benchmade has proven to be difficult to sharpen. I know that it has a harder than usual steel blade. I am about to give up and send it back to benchmade for a factory edge. However, I don't want to send it back every time the edge needs maintenance. How do I work this blade? My current technique and tool for this one particular knife is failing. Suggestions?

Feedback Score
    How much do you want to spend. Factory edges are garbage and are generally done with belts or wheels. These create inconsistencies in bevel and edge (yes benchmade has garbage factory edges). I recommend the wicked edge, edge pro is good too, but I recommend grabbing some 6" dmt stones and some spyderco stones plus a strop and learn to freehand. Good skill to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like to have a perfect bevel and will spend the time needed with a Lansky to get it. I have the diamond set with a sapphire polisher. It gets a razor edge and its highly polished and that means less microscopic bumps and jagged edges. I have found people are polarized on lanskys for some reason. You love it or hate it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I suppose every subject has a learning curve. For what I believed would be a simple concept of getting an edge sharp is more complex as you two have eluded to. I need to educate myself. And this is after spending a lifetime of hunting and preparing animals. Wow....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have been using the KME system for about a year. I like it a lot. Not much of a learning curve involved in using it. It is like an upgraded Lansky set.

http://www.kmesharp.com
    Last edited by signal4l; 06-20-17 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    I like to have a perfect bevel and will spend the time needed with a Lansky to get it. I have the diamond set with a sapphire polisher. It gets a razor edge and its highly polished and that means less microscopic bumps and jagged edges. I have found people are polarized on lanskys for some reason. You love it or hate it.
    I love my Lansky, but want to develop the skill to use the old fashioned way

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I have an Edgepro Apex but they're kind of pricey (it was a gift). It took some practice and watching a few videos to actually get the hang of doing a nice job, but it works great. That KME system looks like it would work pretty well and be a little easier because of the clamp. Whatever you go with, I'll give you a tip. When setting the angle, take a sharpie and color in part of the edge of the blade, then use your finest stone to set the angle, adjusting until it takes pretty much all of the sharpie off the edge in one pass. You'll save A LOT of time not accidentally reprofiling edges that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    I love my Lansky, but want to develop the skill to use the old fashioned way
    Practice, practice, practice. Youtube has some info to get you started with technique.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Using the Sharpie ink to set the correct angle on your blade is a great idea. Reminds me of smoking a rifle action during stock bedding.

Feedback Score
    All of the systems have some sacrifices- lansky's are not very precise due to the nature of the rod sliding in a loose hole. Edge pro requires you to hold the knife in place and only allows one side at a time - same with lansky and kme, these can lead to precision issues. The wicked edge is very expensive (I did the sport pack and simply added stones) and there are limitations to knife size.
    I recommend the free hand due to simple knowledge base and you will quickly learn what works and what does not - this helps you decide what sacrifices you are willing to make. Get on YouTube and watch all of jdavis' videos. He doesn't die them anymore, but he covers all of this in great detail with examples.
    In the event you have never seen a wicked edge's edge, when I say I can whittle on a hair it is not an exaggeration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast