Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Get it sharp!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    On a side note, if you are not good at keeping a consistent angle and a light touch, don't use a mousepad. What will occur is it will sharp, then dull, then sharp, then dull, etc. the surface behind the edge is too deep and will curl up over the apex and dull the edge. Use a soft piece of leather instead, on a hard surface (the blank side of the strop bat works well). This will assist in keeping your pressure consistent and light.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for sharing. Much appreciated, sir.

I'm in learning mode you could say.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I suggest a KME diamond system, its about the best bang for the buck. I've been using one a couple years now and love it. I do recommend an angle cube to go with it. Besides the KME, I have some DMT diamond plates, ceramic rods, and a couple strops. The strop is important in obtaining a high degree of sharpness.

Feedback Score
    I've used Japanese water stones for many years to get razor sharp edges on my knives, wood working chisels, planes, etc.; however, I bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker a couple years ago for knife blade touch-up & like it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    FYI for those that would rather have someone else do it, send your blades to me and I'll put edges on them. My prices are $15-25 for most folders and fixed blades under 5", and that is with mirror polish, and includes return domestic shipping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Jackfantom,

Just started working with the bat strop. Which side do you start with?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 07-01-17 at 08:01.

Feedback Score
    Black, then green, then white, then blank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The preloaded pink side actually feels the most coarse. Some break in required?

Feedback Score
    Maybe- try this link as a rough guide. You really only need the green, but if you want a true mirror polish.
    https://www.pjtool.com/jewelers-rouge-chart/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am not sure if you ever got the PM i sent to you. But thanks for the guidance and product recommendations. Money well spent on quality tools to learn a useful skill.

Feedback Score
    I use a Lansky. I have a $60 knife plus my hunting and kitchen knives I sharpen with it.
    I have been unsing with a medium stone to finish as the rough edge cuts better than the fine.

Is it the best? No, but it gets my blade sharper than I need it, at the angle that suits my needs, it's fast, and was $30, so it's the best I've found for me.

I don't obses over it, I use it till it doesn't cut to my liking and give it a few passes again. Ymmv

If you want a polished edge, or perfect hone, or need to shave with it or something, you may want to look elsewhere, but I've used mine to skin and butcher, cook, and daily tasks and the edge always lasted decent amount of time and required little to no pressure to make cuts.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-01-17 at 11:13.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234