Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Get it sharp!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    All of the systems have some sacrifices- lansky's are not very precise due to the nature of the rod sliding in a loose hole. Edge pro requires you to hold the knife in place and only allows one side at a time - same with lansky and kme, these can lead to precision issues. The wicked edge is very expensive (I did the sport pack and simply added stones) and there are limitations to knife size.
    I recommend the free hand due to simple knowledge base and you will quickly learn what works and what does not - this helps you decide what sacrifices you are willing to make. Get on YouTube and watch all of jdavis' videos. He doesn't die them anymore, but he covers all of this in great detail with examples.
    In the event you have never seen a wicked edge's edge, when I say I can whittle on a hair it is not an exaggeration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with you on learning how to free hand but I will have to disagree on the lansky not being precise.....to some extent. I use the regular stones from a lansky with the clamp from my DMT aligner. the lansky clamp only has 4 holes for only 4 angles. The DMT has 7 angles of adjustment. The key to consistency is how you set up the stones. I lay the stone flat with the guide bar inserted on a flat level table. When it's level I tighten the screw down. That's the key.

To the OP, Learning freehand will teach you what to look for. Feel, sound all that comes into play. what types of material you cut on a day to day basis will tell you, you may need a steeper angle or a toothier edge depending on what materials you are cutting. My suggestion is to have at least two knives kept sharp. That way you can keep them in rotation for when one goes dull and you either don't have time or in my case just to lazy. Good luck and just keep practicing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do the diamond impregnated "stones" require honing oil?

Feedback Score
    First, watch this to understand pros and cons of the top 2 sharpening systems on the market. These are the reference standard. https://youtu.be/SGo3pKhp6L8

The reason the lansky cannot compare (dmt aligner suffers the same issue) is the holes the rods ride in allow for so much play it is neither repetitive nor precise. I understand you may think it is a good system, but you simply do not know what you do not know. I will put my money where my mouth is, if you'd care to compare. The lansky is fine if you simply want a comparable sharpness to what you get with a wheel or belt, but put your edge under a microscope (I do with every knife I sharpen).
    Like all things we talk about in this forum - you get what you pay for, and the lansky is the bushmaster and the wicked edge/ edge pro are the colts and bcms. Will they both go bang? Yep, but if you need to do work you gonna grab that bushmaster?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    No oil. Some non, most just water. You have to be careful with diamond though, until you "break them in" they will be very coarse. Sharpen a couple beater knives first

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    No, but I use a small amount of dish soap and water. Be sure to dry thoroughly as the plates are steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    First, watch this to understand pros and cons of the top 2 sharpening systems on the market. These are the reference standard. https://youtu.be/SGo3pKhp6L8

The reason the lansky cannot compare (dmt aligner suffers the same issue) is the holes the rods ride in allow for so much play it is neither repetitive nor precise. I understand you may think it is a good system, but you simply do not know what you do not know. I will put my money where my mouth is, if you'd care to compare. The lansky is fine if you simply want a comparable sharpness to what you get with a wheel or belt, but put your edge under a microscope (I do with every knife I sharpen).
    Like all things we talk about in this forum - you get what you pay for, and the lansky is the bushmaster and the wicked edge/ edge pro are the colts and bcms. Will they both go bang? Yep, but if you need to do work you gonna grab that bushmaster?
    Sorry but that's a horrible comparison. Bushmaster, colt? Most knives I have are less than $100 and they are used daily. I'm sure a lot of users here carry less expensive knives than that. I don't see the need to spend $400-$700 on a sharpening system. Id rather buy some good stones and do it freehand. I can put a good edge with my "bushmaster" on my $50 knife. Once you understand edge geometry and for the materials your cutting it's easy to get the edge one needs. Thanks but I know what I know because I have been sharpening my knives before the days of YouTube and lots of practice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila45 View Post
    Sorry but that's a horrible comparison. Bushmaster, colt? Most knives I have are less than $100 and they are used daily. I'm sure a lot of users here carry less expensive knives than that. I don't see the need to spend $400-$700 on a sharpening system. Id rather buy some good stones and do it freehand. I can put a good edge with my "bushmaster" on my $50 knife. Once you understand edge geometry and for the materials your cutting it's easy to get the edge one needs. Thanks but I know what I know because I have been sharpening my knives before the days of YouTube and lots of practice.
    I guess our main difference is I have a side business of sharpening knives, and I spent less than $200 on the wicked edge field kit. The comparison is very valid. You can find $399 ARs that will go bang, but I'm not wasting my money. Freehand is the way to start, but if you want repeatable EXACT angles, you will not get them with a lansky, no matter how much you think it will or want it too. I have seen the edc section in this forum, and there are a lot more $200+ knives than sub $100 knives.
    In the event you aren't using a knife with a decent steel, why bother use anything except an Arkansas stone? The steel isn't going to hold an edge as long as it will take to put one on it.
    The lansky system costs about the same as a 6" dia sharp, dual side 6" dmt and a strop, and the dmt stone and strop will serve you better.
    By the way the YouTube quote...well I see access to more knowledge and better technology that makes the job easier and improves results. As with all things I'm willing to embrace new ideas and see if they are truly better (prove it to me and I'm sold).
    Knife steel is constantly evolving as are the methods of maintenance. The wicked edge is worth saving for if you love super sharp super steel, have a ton of knives or you simply prefer to have the best tools you can afford.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Having slept on this discussion I feel compelled to relearn free hand. Build a skill and avoid spending a gob of $. Any vendors out there for good diamond plates? What selection of abrasives do I need?

Feedback Score

Get it sharp!

My recommendation is that you get the course fine DMT duo sharp stone and a spyderco UF ceramic, and a bat strop. These are where I began about 8 years ago and then started adding stones for more refined mirror polished edges.

This is a good deal -
    Ultra Sharp II Diamond Sharpening Stone Kit - Coarse/Medium/Extra Fine
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK3LDBE..._qFMszbEV8T9MY

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/66...derco-_-667760

The spyderco stone is invaluable for refining and polishing

http://www.jreindustries.com/strops.htm

I use this strop for freehand as it comes loaded with 3 polishing compounds.
    Last edited by JackFanToM; 06-21-17 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    I've used a spyderco sharpmaker for the past few years. It does a good job in my opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast