Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One of those "Help Me Choose" Threads...

Feedback Score

One of those "Help Me Choose" Threads...

Hey guys,

I've been in the market for a new pistol since leaving the military and returning to freedom land (away from California). One of the things I wanted to do was pick up a new pistol to serve as a primary training & competition gun.

My current lineup looks like this:

- FNS-9 (currently in bedside duty, has always been my backup competition pistol)
    - Beretta 92A1 (was my primary training/competition pistol for years)
    - Springfield 1911A1 Loaded Black Stainless (I don't really shoot it these days...more for sentiment than anything)

I'm trying to stick to 9mm just to reduce logistical load and keep practice costs down. My preferences have drifted towards metal guns, but I'm not opposed to polymer. I dislike trigger safeties like Glocks, much preferring single piece triggers, and I don't particularly care for Glock's grip angle.

Up to this point, I was pretty well set on acquiring a CZ P-01, with the P-09 and P-10c riding as a dark horses on the side. But it seems CZs are near impossible to find these days.

The SIG P320 has risen on my list because I expect it will have a lot of aftermarket support in the coming years (due to the DoD contract). I've always felt rather let down by the lack of support for the 92A1 and FNS.

Other pistols I've considered include the VP9, APX, and PPQ.

So, anyway, long story short...having not been able to shoot any of these (save the PPQ years ago), and only being able to handle a few of them, what input can you guys offer on the decision?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My advice may not be what you want to hear but you need to get ti the range and shoot the guns youre interested in. Ive lost so much money buying guns on someone esles opinion only to sell it later.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I don't know where you'll be going but CZs aren't hard at all to find in my area, and of course are available online. I'm a huge fan of the P-09 and P-10, though they're obviously quite different. Very comfortable grips, relatively straight, clean, and single piece triggers, and soft shooters. The convertibility of the P-09 from safety to decocker is a nice bonus. The P-01 can get seriously impressive with Cajun upgrades if you're looking a non-stock competition gun.

H&K is doing a 4 extra mag special right now if you like the feeling of the VP9 which is a hell of a deal. I haven't shot or even handled the APX yet. PPQ has a great trigger but I don't like the way it shoots to the point I recommend you shoot one if you're considering it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Go to your local gun store, buy the in stock item, repeat as necessary.

Basically what the rest of us do.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'd seriously look at the CZ P-07/09.

They have
    -DA/SA hammer with decocker
    -Metal trigger
    -Metal sights
    -Standard (non-Glock grip angle)

They are very accurate and have excellent magazines.

The triggers can be worked relatively easily.

The older CZs are good to but seem a bid dated when compared to the latest P series, which are modern and state of the art.
    Last edited by Clint; 06-21-17 at 22:30.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Of the guns you've listed, my favorite is the CZ P09. However, I actually just traded mine for a G19. I couldn't find a holster for it I liked and mag prices were outrageous. Also, mine had trash sights. I decided the pistol wasn't worth the investment in a new platform.

Of your list, my second favorite is the VP9. I actually shot a few uspsa matches with it. It worked well. I ended up buying several because my wife could shoot them well, my friends own them, and frankly, I shoot them well. The paddle release is so much faster using your index finger on your firing hand and you don't have to break your grip. Sights availability is good as it used the same as other HKs. The barrel to slide fit is excellent and it's very accurate. I can shoot most my guns as well as the HK, but the HK is easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I would try a VP9 if I were you. I use one for competition and like it very much. It does have a tigger safety but is not nearly as noticeable as a more traditional style striker-fired mechanism. Indeed, it functions more like a single-action trigger than anything. Mine has a very definite wall and breaks right around 5.5 pounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

They have
    -Metal trigger
    -Metal sights

The older CZs are good to but seem a bid dated when compared to the latest P series, which are modern and state of the art.
    The CZ's shoot nice but I don't know if it's a design but I use the magazine stop to release the slide. On the particular guns the stop is located more forward compared to a glock or m&p or really any other pistol. Not a big deal deal as I just reach up with my left thumb when I regrip. Not slower just training issue. (For those saying slingshot, this works for me).

Feedback Score
    DirectTo
    I don't know where you'll be going but CZs aren't hard at all to find in my area, and of course are available online. I'm a huge fan of the P-09 and P-10, though they're obviously quite different. Very comfortable grips, relatively straight, clean, and single piece triggers, and soft shooters. The convertibility of the P-09 from safety to decocker is a nice bonus. The P-01 can get seriously impressive with Cajun upgrades if you're looking a non-stock competition gun.

H&K is doing a 4 extra mag special right now if you like the feeling of the VP9 which is a hell of a deal. I haven't shot or even handled the APX yet. PPQ has a great trigger but I don't like the way it shoots to the point I recommend you shoot one if you're considering it
    I'm in Northern VA, none of the shops (I've called/checked in 10 so far) have any CZs. Even online they seem pretty scarce at the moment, save for places like Gunbroker. I'm really drawn to the P-09 due to the features you mentioned as well as the capacity, but I don't want to commit without handling one.

The VP9 does have a solid following, and its climbing the list.

Clint

They have
    -Metal trigger
    -Metal sights

The triggers can be worked relatively easily.

Yeah, that's why the P09 had my interest. I was discounting the P07 only because it's so close to the FNS that I already have, and my thinking was the P09 better fit into the service pistol category that I am looking for (to sit along with my Beretta).

It does seem that the VP9 has a strong following. I've handled one before, but not shot it.

What do you all think of the full size Sig P320? I had been considering it because it has good reviews and appears that it will have solid aftermarket support. But information on its performance seems pretty scarce outside of the paid reviewer realm.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post

What do you all think of the full size Sig P320? I had been considering it because it has good reviews and appears that it will have solid aftermarket support. But information on its performance seems pretty scarce outside of the paid reviewer realm.
    I own a 320rx with a gray guns pelt trigger and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Boringly reliable and accurate. The fact that I can change out grip sizes (if I could find one) and slide/barrel length is a huge factor. Grip wise I shoot thumbs forward and my thumb is actually resting on the rail on the grip as opposed to my other guns where it actually rests alone the side of the frame. I can't get any higher on my grip but it's not an issue. It actually gives me more leverage to drive the front of the gun down. Almost like agency arms patented "gas pedal" lol!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast