Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS reloading

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I tried just powering through on my Dillon. I ended up with a mess. 40 rounds in I got a bad powder bridge and it puked powder everywhere.
    Mark, What's that other thrower you were trying ?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well, other than I need to knuckle down on my position, making progress. Obvious it likes the BH 175 factory, chucked one out though. Seems to prefer IMR4064 and the 168 SMK's as well. Until my last round, I was wondering if I was hitting the freaking target! I don't why but the Magnettospeed isn't picking up the shots, was the other day, but extremely high velocities, like 3900-4300, set up properly relative to bore, figure that out later.

What do you guys think of the primers? Ejection right at 4 o'clock, recoil seemed a bit more. Don't see any ejector marks but they seem a bit flat to me. While I waited about 5 minutes and was single loading, might try the 3 charge weights again, 41.6, 41.8 and 42.

5 each, 41.6 on top left, 41.8 on top right and 42 on bottom holder. Maybe my position and barrel heat affected it some, didn't let them cook in the chamber, fired within 5 seconds of bolt closure, ammo shaded under a towel.

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If your getting 4300 fps velocity, you could hit mars. That seems a bit high.

FGGM are the gold standard but the regular Feds 205's work fine too. I will stress PRIMERS matter. Or at least they can.
    A lesson we learned from loading 5.56.

Good to hear it's coming together.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If your getting 4300 fps velocity, you could hit mars. That seems a bit high.

FGGM are the gold standard but the regular Feds 205's work fine too. I will stress PRIMERS matter. Or at least they can.
    A lesson we learned from loading 5.56.

Good to hear it's coming together.

PB
    Oh yeah-high! Something is wrong with it obviously. What's your opinion on the primers? You can see in the pics that the "good" shots are in the same place across all charges, I'm blaming the others on you, I mean me. I fired the BH's group after the 42 charge and at the same interval.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    After reviewing the pics on a normal screen, That black hills ammo is impressive. It also lets you know the potential of your gun. One piece of food for thought, my gun shot its best groups when I pulled some bolt gun ammo ( hot loads ), primer popping hot.

I bet that BH ammo is hot. I would bump up your loads a little and see if your groups tighten with that 4064. We didn't do a lot of load development. We got some loads to group ok and ran with it. Good ole steal slamming loads.

Again, good luck.

PB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Forget reading the primers. Look for swipes and rim damage. Looks like 41.6 with smk is good.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I appreciate it fella's. Just loaded another batch of 41.6, 41.8 and 42 to double check. Hey, didn't you guys experiment with the tipped match kings verses the old school MK? I might scoot down Friday to check the new batch. Been a great help!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    They cut the wind and offered better ballistic coefficient but didn't improve accuracy. Also, in our 556 loads, we never got quite as good of accuracy, strange. This was mostly bolt gun stuff.

We didn't do much with tipped stuff with the LMT. EVERY BARREL has its own attitude, so you never know.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-28-17 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I appreciate it fella's. Just loaded another batch of 41.6, 41.8 and 42 to double check. Hey, didn't you guys experiment with the tipped match kings verses the old school MK? I might scoot down Friday to check the new batch. Been a great help!
    You should be solid after these test. And that 41.6 was a very nice group. If you can duplicate that, your in the money.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well, My shooting needs some work, but I'm happy with it, ready for steel! Strange how the grouping is almost the exact opposite! I made scope adjustments prior to this grouping test (.3 up/L). Think I will split it, run 41.8 go .1 mil right and what do you know, the 42.3 of H4895 and Hornady 3037 FMJBT works out as well. The marked shots at 41.6/8 are pure me, felt it and called them.

Mark

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast