Thread: Why Not? Non-Jacketed Frangible

Feedback Score

Why Not? Non-Jacketed Frangible

Finally got my suppressor (SRD556, 11mo 4 days). In the manual it states "DO NOT use non-jacketed frangible or pre-fragmented ammunition through any Sig suppressor". I tried looking up that type ammo and pretty much came up empty - found nothing non-jacketed! Did find some that looks like it has a jacket -- Winchester® USA 5.56 Frangible Rifle Ammunition : Cabela's

What is the drill on this? Why would using this with a suppressor be a bad idea? I do not want to use the wrong ammo. Everything in my ammo box has some sort of jacket. From 40 grain to 77 grain.

P516 10"

Feedback Score
    My guess would be that any stray fragments or bullet failures would (could)destroy/damage the silencer, and it's a good way for them to save themselves the bs of trying to explain that a destroyed silencer is the result of a bullet failure, not silencer failure.

Curious to hear others thoughts on this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Frangible ammo has been known to occasionally come apart when passing through suppressors with close tolerance baffles or muzzle devices rough close tolerance baffles, such as the Battlecomp
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Non jacket frang shouldn't be fired in any rifle regardless of suppression. It's been reported to damage Barrels and blow up guns.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have also experienced frang ammo breaking up through a tight comp, so going through baffles (especially the high number of baffles in the sig rifle cans) would not be the best idea.

Feedback Score
    I've seen some bad results from this after the fact. I believe someone said that the can looked like it was attacked by a drunk with a cordless drill at the time.