Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I need an adjustable gas block?

Feedback Score

Will I need an adjustable gas block?

Hello All,

I'm building out a new 223 rifle that is just for longer range target shooting. It's going to have a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I would like to be able to shoot it both suppressed and unsupressed.
    Will I need an adjustable gas block for this? My only suppressor experience is with my 300 BLK SBR and it just magically works with both types of ammo.

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No, a properly sized gas port will work just fine suppressed and unsuppressed from carbine length systems all the way to rifle length systems.

If you want it to run "optimally" suppressed, then an adjustable gas block can accomplish that, but if it's the correct size with quality ammo it will be reliable without any kind of doohickeys. It will cycle slightly harsher, but that's going to be mitigated a great deal by the rifle length system.

Feedback Score
    A rifle or a5 buffer setup would be ideal. It should help compared to a carbine buffer

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yes. I'm going to use a Gen2 Magpul PRS stock so it's going to have a rifle buffer.

The thing is that I have a Geissele gas block left over from buying one of their rails and I'm trying to decide if I should use it.

Perhaps I should contact Ballistic Advantage and see what their gas port size is.

Thanks,

JRC
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel87 View Post
    A rifle or a5 buffer setup would be ideal. It should help compared to a carbine buffer

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You shouldn't need an adjustable. Longer systems are more forgiving in my experience.

Feedback Score
    What size is the gas port?
    It is possible that you may not have to do much to do, but it is also possible that you may have a lot to do.

Feedback Score
    Need? No. Want? Yes. Less recoil, gas in face, parts wear, and noise.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    try it before buying anything, depending on the ammo as well

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you want to be the guy at the range with a weapon that isn't working because you thought you might not need it going from un-suppressed to suppressed?

Do you care about downtime after you realize you needed one and now have to order and remove the old and reinstall the adjustable?

For my last build, I decided while it was apart I was going to use the adjustable just in case. I bland to load my own rounds someday as well so I can adjust for that as well.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Adjustable gas blocks can tune a suppressed/unsuppressed rifle or carbine nicely. I use an SLR Sentry on my hunting AR in 6.8spcii, and it performs well.

It does introduce an additional point of maintenance, and possibly an additional point of failure. If set to "suppressed", the rifle may not lock back when unsuppressed. It requires that a 2mm hex key be available. If not cleaned/lubed it can bind.

With that in mind, my "fighting rifle" (12.5" Noveske 5.56x45) does ~not~ have an AGB, even though it would cycle smoother when suppressed with one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast