Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD Officially DISAPPROVES Of The Use Of The Blackhawk Serpa Holster

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by southswede View Post
    Not following the rules of safe gun handling IS a training issue. Blaming equipment for the user pulling the trigger is, at best laughable and worst absurd.
    I believe it's already been explained in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    I believe it's already been explained in this thread.

You are correct-it has been explained: people blaming the holster because they pulled the trigger, resulting in an unintentional firing of the gun. This, as has been pointed out by almost everyone is a negligent act by the user.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use a Serpa... actually a few of them for different guns.

Only holes that are in my body below my belt line were there when I was born... no extra.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by southswede View Post
    You are correct-it has been explained: people blaming the holster because they pulled the trigger, resulting in an unintentional firing of the gun. This, as has been pointed out by almost everyone is a negligent act by the user.
    You need to reread the thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not a cop to be 100% clear. I can see where it might be a bad idea for a cop who isn't into training or firearms and is subject to stressful situations.

I will continue to use them and leather. All good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    To not understand how that could occur, you have to know absolutely nothing about the physiological response of the body to stress.
    I just figured I'd point out that this thread ended a long way back.

26 inf points out exactly how these ND's happen. The serpa and stress are consistent, and a lack of training is NOT.

Feedback Score
    And yet,
    Hundreds of people personally known to have repeatedly done high volume, high stress training, on multiple occasions, have done so without incident.

And this is where the argument lies.

Just as untold numbers of people have used Glocks without incident while many have had NDs.
    Just as untold numbers of people have done appendix carry without incident.

Basically, fans of the holster can rest assured plenty have used it without indcident,
    But need to get on with the fact it is far from the best option and move on.
    Like I have.

And those greatest detractors need to understand plenty have used it without incident, and each know scores more that have, and in many cases the bona fides of those scale up beyond the detractor's,
    And you will never convince them, after their finger has gone right where it should tens of thousands of times, that the motion is an issue.

To them,
    It would be like trying to say Yeager's glorious performance under fire was based on the intrinsic properties of manual transmissions and the the bodies response to stress,
    While they remain forever convinced manual transmissions are just fine, and it was his lack of various attributes?

We live in a world where many have incident free used Glocks to great effect for decades,
    Yet people on this very board fawn over some addition to pretend their Glock has a da SA hammer while they holster.
    Some think it is great, others have no frigging idea why they would add something to a Glock they have already holstered just fine hundreds of thousands of times. With each group having little chance of converting the other.

Feedback Score

Cool

I'm sure a lot of people use them without incident, and will never have any problems. I can understand why they wouldn't want to change holsters. It just seems to me that if you are looking for your first holster, there are a lot of options out there where you just dont have to worry about this potential issue.

That's why I chose to get something other than a serpa. Outright banning them from the force seems excessive, in sure a lot of guys there did a lot of training with them. It seems wrong to force them to switch.

Maybe a better approach would be banning them for new-hires to slowly phase them out.

But what do I know? I am just a random dude on the internet.

I'm probably not for or against it enough for any side to agree with me anyways lol.
    Last edited by mcnabb100; 06-29-17 at 19:33. Reason: Typing on mobile is hard when you have dumb thumbs

Feedback Score
    Stop calling it a training issue. It has nothing to with training and everything to do with physics. No one is intentionally inserting their finger inside the trigger guard when it comes to the Serpa issues being discussed. The finger exerts pressure against the release button, then exerts pressure along the frame, then continues exerting once it has cleared the holster entirely. This lands it inside the trigger guard. There is not enough time before forcefully depressing the button and clearing the holster to reverse that pressure and straighten your trigger finger before it makes contact with the trigger itself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Interrupt View Post
    Stop calling it a training issue. It has nothing to with training and everything to do with physics. No one is intentionally inserting their finger inside the trigger guard when it comes to the Serpa issues being discussed. The finger exerts pressure against the release button, then exerts pressure along the frame, then continues exerting once it has cleared the holster entirely. This lands it inside the trigger guard. There is not enough time before forcefully depressing the button and clearing the holster to reverse that pressure and straighten your trigger finger before it makes contact with the trigger itself.
    Wrong.

The finger rides along the slide after the release is depressed. It is an intentional moving of the trigger finger inside the trigger guard and onto the trigger.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast