Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for LEO advice

Feedback Score

Looking for LEO advice

I realize this is probably more appropriate in the LEO subforum, but I'm not eligible for access yet. I'm starting police academy next week, through December. Any advice? Overall I just plan on being an information sponge and taking lots of notes/ studying a lot. My personality is to be friendly and funny, so I'll need to control those humor urges, lest the instructors think I'm not taking it seriously.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I realize this is probably more appropriate in the LEO subforum, but I'm not eligible for access yet. I'm starting police academy next week, through December. Any advice? Overall I just plan on being an information sponge and taking lots of notes/ studying a lot. My personality is to be friendly and funny, so I'll need to control those humor urges, lest the instructors think I'm not taking it seriously.

Pay attention, but take things with a grain of salt. You're there to learn the basic foundation...no more, no less. Your agency should continue with that basis on field training and shadow phases (or whatever yours does).

I don't know what your academy will be like. We send some to the state for training and it's more or less a wannabe boot camp style setting where gig lines, marching and bed making are high priorities. The others we send to the academy that's attached to the a university. As sure as the day is long, guys (and sometimes gals) always get caught up in wanting to partake in campus life or are busy trying to get into the pants of any classmates of the opposite sex and wind up getting kicked out and losing their job. The point being this: remember what you're there to do, and don't get caught up in other pointless BS.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Which particular academy will you be attending?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post

-Be a good student
    -Be friendly and act like you want to be there, but don't let anyone abuse your friendliness
    - When you see drama, stay out of it. Change the subject or walk away.
    -Do not try to avoid work. Avoiding work IS work/stress and will get you in trouble
    -Do not try hard to find work. You will gain nothing and will eventually get in trouble
    -Stay out of trouble. Let someone else be in trouble
    -Unless available for promotion, be invisible. (But friendly/cordial)

This is just the academy. It doesn't matter much. Pass your tests, stay out of drama/trouble, and get out clean.

The same will apply once you have a job. Only poke your head out of the crowd when you want a promotion. Other than those times be nice, avoid drama, do your job, and leave your job at your job. Compartmentalize it. Be a cop at work, be yourself when not at work. Don't bring work home and don't bring home to work. Not always possible but it's a goal.

Plan to do 20 yrs and if you don't have a desk job by then get out. Patrol/traffic/corrections is for younger folk.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-24-17 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I went through a police academy and ended up getting terminated due to some DRAMA that I had no control over.

Police jobs are extremely political and basically the chief got a call from my last employer and he was told they were investigating me for excessive force. (I am in corrections but tried to move to LEO and basically my administration didn't like me and wanted me not to get the job)

Needless to say my administration and the police chief were friends and I got the can. I didn't deserve it and was #2 in my academy.

My biggest advice would be a fly in the wall and don't try and shine. Keep your head down, listen, learn, and keep your mouth shut.

You also need to remember most police are not gun guys and they have no idea how to shoot. When it comes time for range work and handgun keep your mouth shut again. Let the instructors feel like they know everything. I made the mistake of showing off on range day and it didn't work out.

If I could go back and do it again I would of acted like a complete noob and timid. In the academy they don't want a strong, confident, leader lol. They want someone they can't beat down and make you feel like your the smallest person and don't deserve the job. Then you graduate and it supposedly gets better haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I should clarify a couple things:

* I'm being sent by a municipal agency. I already have a job waiting when I graduate and get sworn in.

* how Virginia does it (at least in this area) is multiple agencies send recruits to the academy until the class reaches about 30 or so individuals. I'm one of 10 for my agency, and we were told that we need to work and think like a team, and the Personnel and Training branch will need one of us to be the unofficial leader of our group. I'm one of the oldest and I have prior management experience so that mantle might fall into my lap by happenstance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Pay attention, but take things with a grain of salt. You're there to learn the basic foundation...no more, no less. Your agency should continue with that basis on field training and shadow phases (or whatever yours does).

I don't know what your academy will be like. We send some to the state for training and it's more or less a wannabe boot camp style setting where gig lines, marching and bed making are high priorities. The others we send to the academy that's attached to the a university. As sure as the day is long, guys (and sometimes gals) always get caught up in wanting to partake in campus life or are busy trying to get into the pants of any classmates of the opposite sex and wind up getting kicked out and losing their job. The point being this: remember what you're there to do, and don't get caught up in other pointless BS.
    I'm 31 and married. I don't party. Not going to be an issue. LoL. Any adolescent behavior left over made its way out of my system at least 5 years ago.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Show up early. Keep a lint roller handy. Listen more than you speak.

I had fun in my academy. The first few years of a LEO career are not easy. You will be under the microscope. Get through it and have a great career. It is worth it. Congrats

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    LE academies across VA differ greatly. Some of them are hard core strictly enforced rule sets (VSP) and other are much more relaxed (Central Shenandoah). Along the coastal area, most agencies run their own academy instead of relying upon a regional one. For the most part, be the gray man. Don't draw unnecessary attention Most of all, just enjoy the experience!

On a side note, if you should come under question for anything, BE HONEST!!! More recruits get canned every year for lying about stupid shit than anything else.
    Wil
    See how easy life can be?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsahak View Post
    On a side note, if you should come under question for anything, BE HONEST!!! More recruits get canned every year for lying about stupid shit than anything else.
    Good advice, thank you. I've been 100% transparent and honest with everyone I've spoken with from the PD (background investigator, psychiatrist, etc), and I know they place a high value on that. Integrity is everything.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast