Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for LEO advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like most have said be invisible. Mainly put in effort when it time do something. Don't be the last one to be somewhere. Not sure how the instructors will be or how knowledgeable they will be on any subject. I see some good instructors and some that haven't learned anything new since the 90's. If it's something you are being taught and disagree with just listen and don't say anything. I think the only reason we have kicked anyone out if for integrity issues.

Feedback Score
    It's going very well so far. Thanks fellas.

Feedback Score
    Always remember that you MUST work as a team with others. No individualism, or it could be a long career.

Feedback Score
    I find our military (USAF) Core Values are a good rule of thumb:

1. Integrity First (if you don't have integrity, it shows...)

2. Service before self (it's NOT about you...it's about the mission/unit/citizens we serve)

3. Excellence in All We Do (If it's worth doing, it is worth doing right). When I catch someone doing a lousy job/detail job, like cleaning toilets, and doing a really good job at it, I know I can trust them to do important jobs right, and thus they generally get rewarded with better details and duties.

YMMV. Good luck to you...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I find our military (USAF) Core Values are a good rule of thumb:

1. Integrity First (if you don't have integrity, it shows...)

2. Service before self (it's NOT about you...it's about the mission/unit/citizens we serve)

3. Excellence in All We Do (If it's worth doing, it is worth doing right). When I catch someone doing a lousy job/detail job, like cleaning toilets, and doing a really good job at it, I know I can trust them to do important jobs right, and thus they generally get rewarded with better details and duties.

YMMV. Good luck to you...
    That is just good advice, period.

Feedback Score
    First full M-F week done. 4 exams done. It's starting to become obvious who is going to struggle to graduate. FWTW, one guy has low test scores, started a shoving match with another student, and mouthed off to an instructor (which got us all an ass chewing). Not even sure why he's still here

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    First full M-F week done. 4 exams done. It's starting to become obvious who is going to struggle to graduate. FWTW, one guy has low test scores, started a shoving match with another student, and mouthed off to an instructor (which got us all an ass chewing). Not even sure why he's still here
    What's his ethnicity?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I would love to know who he mouthed off to. Obviously not Ron, or he would be back at his agency for smart assing the director. I might pay money to see the aftermath of someone spouting off to Katie!!!
    Wil
    See how easy life can be?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All of the posts have good info, and I’ll just add a little:

- Be honest if you make a mistake or bad decision. Don’t lie about it!

- Don’t argue with instructors. Take what they have to teach and do it their way for now.

- Stick with your agency for the long haul, or find an agency within a year that you want to stay with. Do your 20 or 25 and retire! Retirement is THE big benefit of the job. Bouncing around agencies and states will cost you. Also, with governments everywhere cutting benefits, I would look for a defined benefit state retirement with the ability to retire with “20 at fifty” (20 years of work at 50 years of age) and medical benefits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    What's his ethnicity?
    No comment. Irrelevant.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast