Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for LEO advice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsahak View Post
    I would love to know who he mouthed off to. Obviously not Ron, or he would be back at his agency for smart assing the director. I might pay money to see the aftermath of someone spouting off to Katie!!!
    I don't know the details, but, as of today he's expelled. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Feedback Score
    I went through a police academy 18 years ago. It was an in house one, run by the agency/city but certified by the State. There were no politics there, It was only slightly militaristic, and mainly just focused on pounding in the core skills you needed. FTO (now called PTO) was harder. In Colorado, like most states, mandate core requirements. If you stick to taking things seriously and pay attention you should be fine. Stay on top of your fitness though and remember it isn't like the movies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    No comment. Irrelevant.
    I really wish it were. But it matters to brass and HR. You'll see.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How is it going so far?!
    Wil
    See how easy life can be?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Talk:

It's not hard. It's basically a college semester with PT tests, shooting, and EVOC.

Dont be afaid to ask questions but dont be the "What If" guy. If you need clarification on something; get it from a cadre on break or after the day is over.

Show initiative but dont be a spotlight ranger. Help others but do NOT get caught up in someone's drama or personal BS.

This is not the time or place to look for a girlfriend

Do not be an open book or an over-sharer.

DESTROY all your social media.

And my thing is....don't be uppity. If you graduate, it doesnt mean you'll be a good officer. You wont really stop being a rookie until year 5.

Your FTO can make you are break you but it doesn't mean he cares about you.
    A LOT of guys become FTOs just to have a chauffeur and someone to do their paperwork.

The "fraternity" of the profession has been dead a while and you will get pretty disillusioned at some point.

Remember...the street is a harsh mistress. You can do everything right and still die or get grievously wounded.

Furthermore a badge does not make you a Jedi or a Knight of the Round.
    A lot of what you will do will be buck passing or revenue generation. But once in a while you get to do something meaningful that nobody can take away.
    Be it saving an old person or making a young kid's day.

The number one rule is never lie. Ever.

EVER.

EVER

Other than that it is a pain in the ass job like anything else. It WILL change you. In some ways good in some ways....ehh...not "bad" but you wont be maybe so open anymore.

The job can get addicting. But dont let it consume you. When you get vacation time....TAKE IT.

Also...PEOPLE COME FIRST. Always.

You will not be friends with 90% of the people you are buddies with before you start.
    Be real careful who you associate with.

I have seen this profession turn men into monsters, nihilists, alcoholics, criminals, and in some cases outright destroy them.

I know three men who ate their guns.

It wasnt what they were exposed to but how they handled it. Watch who you clique up with and dont be afraid to keep your recorder on your phone handy if a "superior" asks/orders you to do something you know or feel isnt proper. It happens.

But....keep some optimism. A lot of people can do 20 years without ever pointing a weapon at a subject, being in a fight, or dealing with unscrupulous co-workers.

Every day is a new day. Just be a decent person. You cant control others, just yourself. Karma is real.

And dont take your work home. Your folks and wife dont need to know everything.
    Keep a journal. It seems kinda Sweet Valley High, but its easier at times to write down the stuff and get it out rather than telling your loved ones about some 60 yo bum pissing himself because he is drunk and high to the point of incontinence, or someone throwing semen at you, or seeing some guy blow his head off with a shotgun.

Just say "Work is stressful but I'm home now"

My post is kinda....jaded and bleak but if your heart is in it just be a decent bloke and be positive. Just survive and get time in. It will all come in time.
    Get all the training you can but dont be a know it all. These are just schools.

Real life will be....different.

Good luck.

ETA I reread your op. 31?! Cuttin' it close buddy.

I started super young and am not yet 40 and like others have said it is a young man's game. I feel like I am 80.

I thought that Mike Meyers Middle Aged Man skit was funny in the day. Now it is a sad, sad, SAD reality. Yeah....you dont really want to be in patrol in your 40s even if you really want to. 40 is the twilight of police work if you aint in a desk job.

But for however long you do. Do it well and do it right. If life leads you elsewhere at least you pitched in and did your bit.
    Last edited by Firefly; 08-26-17 at 03:39.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    FF summed it up very well. I will add to the be careful who you hang out with. Drinking-don't fall into the party crowd, hanging out at places you arrest people at and in general misbehaving. You make your career, you by doing good work, developing a reputation for doing that good work, especially in court-take solid cases in, the judges remember that. Your peers will test you, especially the "bad" ones to see what your limits are. Know your scope of authority-at all times. You have to know what to do, especially with Search and Seizure and Use of Force, the two things that will test you over and over-don't be baited. There are some truly evil people out here, not just the hard criminals but the people who simply don't like the rules, same as people on this forum and I will say, the like kind are probably the likely ones you will have to deal with, truth hurts.
    Simply do you job and don't get involved in clicks on the dept. You will have the anti dept group and the up the chiefs ass group-don't get in either. People will come to you one day and you will be the glue of the professionals. I retired a Sergeant(remember the group I was in), people liked working WITH me as I had one simple rule-DO YOUR JOB I would provide guidance and training if you didn't or wouldn't but I left you alone and was there if you needed it. Guess what? guess who else left me alone-that's right, the LT, Cpt, etc because I knew what my job was, I did it and didn't need or want them around, they had there own job to do.

It's endless, but bottom line-be a good person you will know in your heart and mind if you are right in your work, you will sleep well and be well.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I've only been doing this 8 months, so I'm not far ahead of you, but I wanted to share a couple things. It gets drilled into your head BE HONEST but it bears repeating, DO THE RIGHT THING. Your command should stick up for you but if you lie, you're done.

During FTO, be a sponge. Just soak up everything and then utilize the things you like later. Your FTOs are going to do things you learned in the academy that are not tactically sound. You're not going to be able to keep a reactionary gap every single time, you may have an FTO teach you something you think is stupid. It's up to you to decide if it's worth saying something. One more word about FTO, let them hold you back. Get out of the car, shake people down. The consistent issue among the younger generation is that they're slugs...don't fall into that group.

Mark and FF certainly have loads more experience than I do, and I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but it's a great job. I don't know what else I'd do.

Have cop friends to BS and decompress with. Don't let go of your other friends you met along the way. They'll ask you dumbass questions, but try to keep it light. Don't take things personally. Above all else, have fun and do the right thing.

It can be an incredibly rewarding job but it's not for everyone. My opinion might mean more in 5 years but, that's where I am now. Good luck and be safe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsahak View Post
    How is it going so far?!
    Great. Exams scores have been a couple 100%, many 95%-98%.

In firearms now, just got a 99.2% on my night pistol qualification. ( I threw one 1/2" outside the line, dammit) Driving training in 2 weeks. I'm having a lot of fun, that's all I can say. It's challenging and it's teaching me to be tough, but damn it's fun.

@Firefly: thank you for the advice sir. Im cautiously optimistic. I know I possess a number of traits that will make me a great officer, but I also have several glaring issues that I will need to fully conquer. We'll just have to see how compatible I am with the work. I'll give it my all, and maybe I'll get transferred/promoted out of patrol after 5 years or so.

Feedback Score
    Its good to see folks still have the drive for the job, in this day and age with the constant cop bashing and such...I spent 25 yrs working for an agency in CA, 20 yrs working street level patrol. I concur with what others have said, but know the real learning comes in FTO. Things are sterile in the academy, nothing is sterile on the street. Be proactive, but be careful not to appear aggressive..I worked with an Officer who was a hard charger, lots of felony arrests, and often the use of force that came with it....After many parolees and snivelers cryed about excessive force, he was pulled off the street and shoved behind a desk. Even though IA never sustained any proof he did anything wrong or out of policy...If you get a jacket as being heavy handed it will bite you sooner or later. Try to stay in good shape, and when your off duty leave the job behind...Your family comes first. Best of luck and be careful out there

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast