Thread: Springfield 1911 Range Officer or Loaded?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Springfield 1911 Range Officer or Loaded?

After shooting a friends Springfield Target a few times over the past year, I decided that the 1911 is what I'm most comfortable with and shoot the best. I'm currently on the fence between these two pistols. Would the differences between the two really be noticable? (Full length guide rod vs. traditional for example.)This would be for general purpose use and not carried. I was hoping someone has had experience with both. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If it will be used as a range/target only gun then the RO with its adjustable sights (although why they went with an LPA cut rather then Bomar is beyond me) would be your bet.

If you intend to carry it or use it as a defensive pistol then the fixed sight loaded is the better option. There are fixed sights available for the LPA cut like Harrison and Heinie but I just don't like the look of them.

Feedback Score
    I agree with Jedi! if you're not going to carry the gun the adjustable sights will let you dial in your groups. But my experience with adjustable rears is they tear up your shirts and you'll knock that big rear blade on stuff all day. My 2 cents-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I recently had the same question. I ended up trading into a like new stainless Range Officer. I put a GI guide rod in it, installed a set of VZ grips. I then sent it to Harrison Design for a set of his sights. I chose a plain black serrated rear and a tritium dot front sight. It shoots like a dream. I am very happy with my choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wanted a 9mm 1911 that would basically be a "fun gun" for casual range use and maybe nightstand duty, but also be capable of being carried OWB or carried in one of the vehicles. I ended up with a RO Operator more because of the sights than the rail,* not caring for the adjustable sights of the standard RO.

The rear sight on the Operator was a lot less "snaggy," and that sealed the deal.

toc

*("Is it better to have a rail and not need it than to need a rail and not have it?" For me, it is.)

Feedback Score
    I think the Range Officer Operators are the best deal going in 1911's. You have a fighting quality 1911 for $800ish. I have the LB Operator and an MC Operator and although the finish is better from what I can see the ROOP is the same level quality.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They actually have both versions of the R.O. at my local dealer. Loaded seems a little harder to get at the moment. The price on the standard R.O. is hard to pass on really. I don't CC currently, so this would be strictly range and nightstand for now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Everyone has pretty much said it. If not carrying, the RO with adjustable sights would be great. As for the guide rods, I prefer the standard GI guide rod in my carry guns, but fairly recently added a Wilson full length for extra weight up front and to avoid recoil spring kink. They got their money from me. I've never had a spring kink up, and the full length guide rod is just as easy to disassemble without tools as the standard. I feel no difference in reliability. Biggest recommendation: whichever you choose, buy quality mags.

Feedback Score
    i have a RO and it is by far my favorite handgun. smooth and solid slide and frame fit. the trigger is lights out awesome. simple set up too. no ambi controls ect. the gun feels like it is a lot more money than it really is.