Thread: Rapidly reloading the Revolver- Workspace?

Feedback Score

Rapidly reloading the Revolver- Workspace?

Just got back yesterday from training for my new job. A lot of the Instructors were Blackwater vets, and they emphasized a reloading doctrine for the selfloader they called "workspace." Basically, this is recharging the piece at eye level instead of lower. I see a LOT of utility in this, but am not sure how to adapt it to the wheelgun. I shot Expert on the M9 earlier this year, but still am a revolver advocate. Wise people take what they can and work it into their skill set, and so this post. Has anybody worked out how to reload a revolver in the workspace? If so, how? Seems like a VERY effective way to stay in the fight.

Floor's open.
    GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

"These men are NOT victims."
    -CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Always Chattanooga Strong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reloading a revolver in the same position as an auto loader is problematic. While I certainly understand the desire to try and keep the gun in the line of sight of the threat area while loading/clearing stoppages, it's rather difficult to load like this with a revolver in a fast and efficient manner.

With the auto you are inserting the magazine in the bottom of the gun with the gun in a slightly muzzle up position so holding the gun just below eye level is viable for ergonomic movement. IE: fairly easy to keep the work space high enough to maintain visual contact down range.

Loading the revolver has you loading from the top of the gun, with the nose of the gun facing down to allow assistance from gravity. Doing this with the gun in a high position like most use for their "work space" would be difficult. I teach to hold the revolver in a slightly lower work space. I keep my hands just below the bottom of my sternum and close to the chest. This works well and allows efficient movement. Yes, I will lose visual contact for a split second when I start the rounds into the chambers but as soon as they begin to feed your vision goes back to the threat area. Not the only way to do it, but the way that makes the most sense for me while carrying a revolver as a duty gun for several years.

Check out some video of Jerry Miculek reloading. He does have some advantage as many of his guns use full moon clips instead of speed loaders but there is no arguing his speed. You can also check out vids from ICORE or IDPA vids.

When I started my LE career 30 years ago revolvers ruled the roost. At this point running a wheel gun well is a dying art.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A "workspace" reload doesn't work with revolvers because of gravity.

My preference...

Reload, right handed shooter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRTdXvjBmE
    Reload, left handed shooter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjkmfOGSVH8
    Thoughts on speed loaders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDAZLc5Jgg
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    The above gentlemen are correct - gravity is your friend.

Bobo (Michael de Bethancourt) is my hero when it comes to teaching revolver reloads. It's something I practice every day, with both speedloaders and a speedstrip using snapcaps.

Feedback Score
    You know, given all the psychological and physiological things that come into play when you're shooting for keeps, there might be a good bit to be said for a New York reload. For the uninitiated, this is having a second revolver and transitioning instead of reloading. Less fine motor skills involved, and a simple selfloader that can be safely carried in Condition One might be a thought for the backup, like a Ruger LCP.

Experimentation is in order; weapon retention, creating space, things of that sort. Nobody wants to be Wyatt Earp with the mob in Tombstone, but at the same time having enough skill set to get you home is never a bad idea.
    GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

-CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plain old dave View Post
    You know, given all the psychological and physiological things that come into play when you're shooting for keeps, there might be a good bit to be said for a New York reload. For the uninitiated, this is having a second revolver and transitioning instead of reloading. Less fine motor skills involved, and a simple selfloader that can be safely carried in Condition One might be a thought for the backup, like a Ruger LCP.

Experimentation is in order; weapon retention, creating space, things of that sort. Nobody wants to be Wyatt Earp with the mob in Tombstone, but at the same time having enough skill set to get you home is never a bad idea.
    I use and encourage BUGs, but...

Put to a time and accuracy standard and compared, BUGs are usually slower and less efficient than a practiced reload for most folks.
    Reloading is the primary method of maintaining continuity of fire. BUGs, a contingency.
    Typical CCWers are more willing to carry a reload device than a second gun.
    Even if willing to carry a BUG, it is less likely an always-method, creating a speedbump.
    The revolver isn't nearly as hard or slow to reload as many think, especially if practiced.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    My open carry piece is a K frame 32-20. Look back in my post history here for details; heavy for caliber bullets (experimenting with the Lee 119gr mould) and warm handloads make a 32-20 act like a +P 38 Special. Wondering out loud if K frame speedloaders will work with 32-20s. I use Bianchi Speed Strips and the 32-20 addresses the only real criticism of the strip: the rims are slightly smaller in diameter so you can load 6 in the strip and they pop right out no problems.
    GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

-CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Feedback Score
    When I started in law enforcement in 89 most of us were carrying wheel guns, I carried a 6 inch 586. Using the safariland speedloaders that are spring assisted, I could reload almost as fast as the semi auto guys...Almost.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Twenty plus years ago I carried a SW940 as a back up and used this reload method:
    https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw.
    This was a must as the hot Federal 115 grain +p+ stuck hard in the cylinder so I would have to strike the rod hard with the palm of my right hand to eject the rounds (after a long day of shooting quals I would have divets in my palm ). With the full moon clips it was actually pretty fast and accurate.
    Last edited by flenna; 07-07-17 at 19:55.