Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gene splicing and manipulation on the horizon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I don't believe the scientific and medical communities will sufficiently understand how to apply this technology without causing unforeseen mutations, cancers, etc. There is still so much we do not understand re: controlling genes, downstream effects, etc. I believe it will be far longer than 10 years before this is applied clinically.
    Ah grasshopper.....

Feedback Score
    Edit

Interesting stuff, definitely not an apocalypse, but a lot of potential, which is good.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-26-17 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Technology and AI will make the vast majority of Homo sapiens obsolete.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Vast majority already are? I watched a dude in India sweeping up a construction site with a twig broom...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I hate to say it but your pro is actually a con. Super humans will get tired of their inferior brethren and wipe them out. Wait until humans with literally superhuman powers decide the rest of us are "in the way" or "consuming their resources."

NOTHING good comes of this.
    "...ridding themselves of the herd mentality." If I remember my philosophy from years ago, this was already considered by Nietzsche - the "Übermensch" or supermen.
    I expend tremendous amounts of energy and time merely to be normal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Current medical advances to date have stymied evolution. If we are to evolve further, or even prevent de-volving, gene manipulation is going to be how that happens. The way I figure it, we've only got a relatively short amount of geologic time before the usual species-killing event takes us out. We'd better get crackin'.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    If this technology fixes all medical maladies and the population explodes, how does the planet support the masses?
    It won't.

Healthy people do not generate profit for Big Pharma and Big Insurance.

Oh I'm sure the elite class will get all the latest greatest med tech but it will be priced out the plebs grasps. Watch / read any 20th century dystopian work to see where this will lead as previously eluded to by some other members.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    1) They will splice animal characteristics into the human genome.

Every people group from all corners of the planet have a flood myth. This is precisely why the God of the Old Testament sent "Noah's flood" according to the text.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Gray goo theory is a very possible reality.

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I watched a dude in India sweeping up a construction site with a twig broom...
    That has more purpose than many others I can think of . . .
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 06-27-17 at 05:53.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a friend alive now due to medication produced by genetically modified call lines. The odds are you do as well.

Most insulin is now produced via genetically modified organisms, and many of the hormones & antibodies went from high risk production techniques (hepatitis, etc from cadivers) to low risk GMO cell lines free of disease.

It's here, it's continuing. Yes, there are risks. But also rewards.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Just as with many, many other areas of science and medicine, the ethics will adjust to the new frontiers and new capabilities. It is absolutely commonplace throughout history that what had been previously unethical becomes completely ethical as science marches on. It is also absolutely commonplace for some people to decry the "ethics" without really even understanding the technology or its possibilities. http://creatingminds.org/quotes/by_experts.htm
    But they don't, not always. I know I see docs slapping themselves on the back after delivering that 24-weeker; or, high-fiving after getting a pulse back after someone coding for an hour. It goes back to, we do it because we can, not because it's always right; it's a mindset thing, not a technology thing. I saw it in paramedics, and I see it in world-renowned neurosurgeons.

I know I am a knuckle-dragging troglodyte of the cro-magnon variety, but I have a pretty decent grasp of the evolution of medical technology/practice and ethics. To be certain, I am not anti-genetic engineering; but rather fully aware of both the good and the bad that can come from any technological evolution.
    Last edited by chuckman; 06-27-17 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    Fears of Frankenstein's monster aside, we've been going do n this path for a long time. It was inevitable. Sure, there are very real concerns about society turning into GATTACA, and maybe a a Khan in there for good measure. But we are already st the point where someone with a masters degree, funding, and a space to work could develop a virus capable of wiping out the human race.

I know several people and kids with rare genetic disorders who would have their lives completely changed by this technology. It's here, it's not going anywhere, so let's put it to good use.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast