Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock aftermarket trigger durability and reliability.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Glock aftermarket trigger durability and reliability.

After running a trigger from one of the big names which consists of a 7075 shoe, factory bar coated in NP3, on my EDC for nearly two years, I was finally getting used to it. It was well broken in. I shoot it about 200 rounds per week.

This past weekend, it failed. The trigger became very stiff and I was unable to depress the trigger. I racked the gun and pressed the trigger back again to feel very little resistance. Apparently the safety (dingus ?) had broken into two pieces and the spring had fallen out.

The vendor explained it "happens sometimes" due to "bad batches of aluminum with voids" in the alloy. I was instructed to send it back with a prepaid label, and a new trigger would be mailed to me upon receipt. Boy, was I glad I had the stock trigger in my parts bin.

While I loved the trigger and shoot much better with it, this breakage and the impression that this wasn't the first time it had happened has me concerned. My life-saving took failed in a major way, luckily during training. I'm second-guessing myself that the decision to install the trigger was a bad idea. I'd not seen a stock trigger fail in such a way. This trigger is from a major manufacturer which I've seen on many other members' pistols on this forum.

Am I safe reinstalling this trigger once it's been replaced? Who else has this happened to or is this an isolated incident? Is the "dingus" too small of a part to be made of brittle 7075 aluminum and better suited to be made of polymer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Stock Glocks work. Aftermarket parts can cause failures. You read about it time after time. There's countless threads on the Glock forum on how someone whiz-banged their Glock and not it doesn't work.

Get some good sights and get use to shooting a stock Glock. A deceased buddy of mine made USPSA Grand Master shooting a stock Glock 20.

As much as I like to tinker with Glocks, I never carry anything modified for CCW.
    Last edited by Dump1567; 06-20-17 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is stock other than the shoe. That's the perplexing part. One would think 7075 would be stronger than poly.

Most of my Glocks are stock other than sights, Tango Down slide and mag release, and OEM minus connector. I've repaired dozens of Glocks that have been modified simply by replacing aftermarket parts with OEM parts.

Then again, I've owned Glocks that simply don't work out of the box. Multiple Glocks needed apex extractors and replacement ejectors to make it through a magazine. So I can't make a blanket statement as you have. So while I appreciate your thoughts, it doesn't exactly answer my question.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Seems to me like you really vetted it out in the first place before the problem arose. Obviously you are going to do the same with the replacement they sent you.

Run it hard again, see if you cant get the same issue in dry fire training. I am a big fan of always having spare parts, including spare triggers laying around. Bite me once shame on you, bite me twice and that's a whole other deal. It's shaken your confidence and rightfully so.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    This is stock other than the shoe. That's the perplexing part. One would think 7075 would be stronger than poly.

Most of my Glocks are stock other than sights, Tango Down slide and mag release, and OEM minus connector. I've repaired dozens of Glocks that have been modified simply by replacing aftermarket parts with OEM parts.

Then again, I've owned Glocks that simply don't work out of the box. Multiple Glocks needed apex extractors and replacement ejectors to make it through a magazine. So I can't make a blanket statement as you have. So while I appreciate your thoughts, it doesn't exactly answer my question.

How many rounds ran through it? Any plus P ammo? Any Steel case ammo?

I have them on several. Even on my CCW.

1800 rounds through one without a hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I haven't counted how many rounds. It's been on the gun for two years. I have been shooting 200ish per week for the last year mostly of 124 gr Speer Lawmen. That's around 10k. I've also shot a class or two with it with 500-1000 rounds.

As far as +p, it's seen a bit less than a case of my carry ammo---124 gr Gold Dot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive seen pics & heard of many aftermarket disconnectors breaking too. Im running them in all 3 of my Glocks. Im gonna replace my G19's first with a Glock MINUS ..then the others. I just flat out don't like having to worry about it.
    And after recently researching triggers and reading many of them DO NOT let all 3 mechanical safeties work, Im nixing those, too. Ive got a really nice trigger on all mine, I just don't like as much take-up as they have, and that's really all I don't like. As for the "dingus"...not seen nor heard of those breaking. You polish up an OEM one real nice with Flitz.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The trigger in question maintains all three safeties. They also polish and np3 coat factory minus connectors. The trigger felt great. I'm certainly rattled, though. About six months ago I had a guy threaten me with a butterfly knife but managed to talk them down.

Feedback Score
    Im calling BS on a void in the material. If so, I would not buy anything from the manufacture if that's a real issue. You use crap raw materials, you get a crap product. It should at least be marketed as a comp-only trigger if that's the case.

Maybe its too brittle? I don't know - seems like a weird part to cause a failure.

Feedback Score
    Reminds me of Harleys - leave 'em stock and they run well (despite their reputation) - it's the modified bits that cause problems. That being said, I could probably, rightly, be accused of unjustifiably mod'ing my guns. I figure on Glocks, sights are a freebie, the rest is debatable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast