Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BAD: What AR accessory do you really dislike or is just flat out useless?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Aesthetically speaking, a VPO with a FSP bugs the crap out of me. I once put a scope on a FSP to see what it was like, and I didn't like it. I hated the look more by a slight margin, though. JMH(observation)
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is a VPO?

Extended mag releases. These things are invariably taller than the fence that's there to prevent/mitigate accidental/unintentional mag drops. The portion of the mag catch that engages the "window" of the magazine is but 0.05 in height. When a mag release button protrudes over the fence by 0.06 (our test indicate a rough average of 0.07), the fence is now rendered useless. Also, if one presses on what is really a cantilevered lever, the mag release button now tilts inside the receiver, as it is no longer traveling straight laterally. I've heard of binding issues from this unintended consequence.

I have slightly longer than average fingers and find the factory button too close. I have no doubt these extended mag release buttons serve a purpose for those with small hands or shorter fingers, but they fix one problem and, in the process, create another problem of its own or two, it's not much of a solution.

We designed and market both the EMR (enhanced mag release) and EMR-C (enhanced mag release, competition). EMR is no taller than a factory mag release, while EMR-C is 0.08 over the mag release fence. We clearly spell out that the EMR-C has accidental/unintentional mag drop risks, and should be used on gaming/recreational ARs, NOT for duty and defense.
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-09-17 at 09:58.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    What is a VPO?
    A variable power optic. I guess it would be the same if it was a fixed power optic, so not liking scopes and FSP's would be more accurate.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I see. In my experience, anything over 4X in magnification will render the FSP a transparent ghost. Higher magnifications won't see much of the ghost. I learned to ignore it, but most of my 4X and magnified optic setups have folding front sights, so it does bother me a little too.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It's not that it isn't usuable, but for me it's annoying while looking through the scope and just plain weird looking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I cringe every time I see a magwell grip. Literally the worst. Also anything, ANYTHING FAB Defense.

I also have to just laugh when I see someone with a red dot AND offset irons. Why??

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I recently wondered why I did not visit AR GD anymore. Now I remember.

I could go over the Box of Truth, actual ballistics, why target ID is important, etc etc, but I would simply be preaching to both deaf ears and the choir.

ANYWAYS,

I hate seeing cheap optics/lasers/lights. NCSTAR, Primary Arms, etc. Get the junk on an airsoft rifle where it belongs.
    Bingo. Cheap shit drives me insane. Also bayonets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I see. In my experience, anything over 4X in magnification will render the FSP a transparent ghost. Higher magnifications won't see much of the ghost. I learned to ignore it, but most of my 4X and magnified optic setups have folding front sights, so it does bother me a little too.
    An FSP in front of a scope does three things-
    - It blocks a significant amount of light coming into the optic
    - It blurs the image
    - It renders the hold over marks of the reticle useless
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    An FSP in front of a scope does three things-
    - It blocks a significant amount of light coming into the optic
    - It blurs the image
    - It renders the hold over marks of the reticle useless
    With any amount of magnification the focal point is beyond the FSB which renders it "invisible". Light enters the optic from all angles so the FSB being 6" or more from the objective makes no difference for light gathering. Your holds work just fine, the FSB is invisible and if you shoot with both eyes open(depending on magnification) then it doesn't matter.

MM

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast