Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BAD: What AR accessory do you really dislike or is just flat out useless?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Solvent traps and anyone that makes, buys, and/or uses them.

Feedback Score
    I love FDE but can admit that it's just for looks for most of us in the US. People will go out of their way to buy a duplicate gun if it's FDE or pay extra for desert dirt, yet will criticize zombies and skulls.
    Strike Industries parts made functionality and comfort worst, ie the forward assist and hand stops.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    KNS anti-walk pins. Solution in search of a problem
    That would depend on the trigger, wouldn't it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMontana View Post
    I love FDE but can admit that it's just for looks for most of us in the US
    Not for me. FDE keeps a firearm cooler in the hot desert sun than any color short of white
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Not for me. FDE keeps a firearm cooler in the hot desert sun than any color short of white
    Same, shooting in the Arizona summer teaches you to hate black guns.

Feedback Score
    Muzzle brakes on an AR. BAD lever. Springco springs. Cheap ARs & optics. Scopes with huge sunshades on ARs. Commercial receiver extensions and most of the other things mentioned already. I'm sure there is something else but I can't recall it at this time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Sight radius is grossly over hyped. Mr, Defoor did some testing/experimentation with irons and found that a sight radius of around 14" was ideal, which is precisely the distance the irons are on a classic M4. Any longer or shorter was a disadvantage as far as speed with almost zero gains in accuracy.

MM
    That must be why they make National Match Carbines, huh?

Aside from the sight radius, which I agree for the .mil is not much of an issue, they gave up a lot of hand guard space which could be used both for equipment and improved shooting mechanics.

Additionally, to ME, all that barrel sticking out is not aesthetically pleasing. To me, the 14.5 to 16 inch Mid-length with a FSB is a good compromise.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-29-17 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    That must be why they make National Match Carbines, huh?

Aside from the sight radius, which I agree for the .mil is not much of an issue, they gave up a lot of hand guard space which could be used both for equipment and improved shooting mechanics.

Additionally, to ME, all that barrel sticking out is not aesthetically pleasing. To me, the 14.5 to 16 inch Mid-length with a FSB is a good compromise.
    To me these 16" carbines that are "all rail all the way to the muzzle" are just Frankenstein rifles. I can live with some extra barrel sticking out the end of a carbine or mid-length because it's there to keep the gun legal and nothing more.

But I'm biased and I keep to KISS: flashlght mounted to a Midwest Industries FSB rail, optic, and factory ribbed handguards.

Frankly, I'd love to recreate the CAR rifles from Blackhawk Down, but with removable carry handles or optics in place of the carry handle instead of on top of it.

To me that lightweight setup is the best.

So I guess the point is I'd have to add rails that are nearly the length of the entire barrel to my "useless" list.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I know a lot of people like it but I can't stand rail over suppressor look. Anything larger than 9mm suppressor will heat a rail enough to cause discomfort. Regardless, I don't like the look especially when it's covering the majority of the can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several mentions of Sprinco springs with no reasons given as to why...?

Quad-railed handguards (obsolete)
    Vertical fore grips and vertical/near-vertical pistol grips
    Not just cheap optics, but cheap mounts too
    Bayonets
    Detachable carry handles

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast