Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: THE BAD: What AR accessory do you really dislike or is just flat out useless?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Anything designed to keep an extra magazine on the rifle. They're all bulky, stupid looking and it adds too much weight to the rifle.

Novelty lowers, especially the skull variety.

Novelty muzzle devices.

Vertical foregrips.

Quad rails, particularly rifle length. Nobody needs to hang that much stuff on a gun, they're stupid heavy and uncomfortable to hold without rail covers.

And most of all, cheap POS rifles/accessories. I love the fact that the AR is so popular these days, but looking at the "custom" rifles on display at gun shows is difficult for me. Out of ~1000 I saw at a show last weekend there was 1 I would actually buy.

Feedback Score
    I would agree with vertical grips as well. I also don't like piccatiny rails in general and am very thankful for KMR or even MLok.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post

Novelty lowers, especially the skull variety.
    I just sent an email to Sharps Bros over when they made huge cutouts in their already novelty lowers. I hate to think all those openings can allow dirty and junk into my mag well. So, I guess I hate gen 2 Sharps lowers.

Feedback Score
    Sharps lowers. Punisher skull anything. Spartan helmet anything. Threeper anything. Spikes tactical. Mid evil looking stuff.

Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    I just sent an email to Sharps Bros over when they made huge cutouts in their already novelty lowers. I hate to think all those openings can allow dirty and junk into my mag well. So, I guess I hate gen 2 Sharps lowers.
    Good Lord those are hideous. I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I don't mind magwell cuts if they're done tastefully, like the Battle Arms lightweight set. If I had all the money in the world I'd probably use them to build my truck gun/HD "pistol", but that gun will never be in an environment where dirt and sand would be of concern.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This thread needs more MarkM and Scott Ryan. They're literally the only reason I opened up this thread.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
    -Forward assist: Pointless protrusion, can only make things more stuck.
    That's an interesting one. A few companies make an AR without it to save some $, but some point that out as why they would not purchase one. Never used it in all my days, but I'm also far from a high rnd count guy. Seems to be a very controversial area of the AR. Far as I know, it does not reduce reliability and potentially good to have?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That's an interesting one. A few companies make an AR without it to save some $, but some point that out as why they would not purchase one. Never used it in all my days, but I'm also far from a high rnd count guy. Seems to be a very controversial area of the AR. Far as I know, it does not reduce reliability and potentially good to have?
    From my own perspective, the forward assist is useful in two areas:

1) When the weapon is brand new and you want to close the breach without letting it slam forward. I'm not sure if letting it slam shut on an empty chamber is even harmful to the weapon, but I consider it "best practices" to not let a weapon slam shut on an empty chamber no matter what type of gun.

2) When you're out in the sticks and you want to silently do a chamber check, sometimes the bolt won't go all the way back into battery if you don't let the breach close with force. Once again, mostly this is with a newer weapon.

Other than that, I've never had a weapon that "needed" the forward assist due to some dirt or lube issue.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I had to use it a handful of times on my M16. Most of these were during high round count days running shoot houses in Kuwait. It was by no means frequent.

I wouldn't own a fighting gun without one though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    From my own perspective, the forward assist is useful in two areas:

1) When the weapon is brand new and you want to close the breach without letting it slam forward. I'm not sure if letting it slam shut on an empty chamber is even harmful to the weapon, but I consider it "best practices" to not let a weapon slam shut on an empty chamber no matter what type of gun.

2) When you're out in the sticks and you want to silently do a chamber check, sometimes the bolt won't go all the way back into battery if you don't let the breach close with force. Once again, mostly this is with a newer weapon.

Other than that, I've never had a weapon that "needed" the forward assist due to some dirt or lube issue.
    Now that's one I had not considered. That alone seems a worthy reason for the Forward assist being it does not negatively impact anything else I'm aware of.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast