Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need scope advice

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Need scope advice

I've shot plenty of prairie dogs. In the tens of thousands. Many of which with a 4.5-14x. Optical optical more important than magnification. Once the barrel heats, there is plenty of mirage and you've got to turn down those high-magnification scopes anyway. My Bender 5-25s spend most of their day around 12x.

The 6920 is a stupid prairie dog gun no matter what glass you put on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tylerw02; 06-29-17 at 03:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I can tell by the answers that a lot of guys have never shot at prairie dogs. For PD I would limit the 6920 to a walking around gun. I hope you have something else because you would be much better off with a bolt gun or 20-24 inch barrel AR. I have used a 4X scope on an AR and it worked ok under 200 yards for prairie dogs. Made hits on dogs out to 800 with a B&L 5x15 atop a Savage 12FV .223but I wouldn't go any lower than a 6x18, 24X would be even better, if I was to do it again. It's just too hard to see bullet impacts and 3 inch wide brown targets on a dirt mound.
    That's what I use it as. I know it's not a precision weapon, that I'm fully aware of. And past 200 I wouldn't even think of trying on a pd with it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 6920 will kill everything you mention, but I sure as hell wouldn't grab it to drop a pronghorn. It would be very low on my list for prairie dogs with a 1-6 scope, but would work fine for coyotes. I can't see a case where you need 1x for either of the three animals you mention. Are you clearing houses or hunting?

Feedback Score
    I'm sure as hell ain't clearing houses. With a moa load inside of 250yds what wrong with using the 6920?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Go with the Strike Eagle - 1X8 power should do want you want within reason. For prairie dogs you need both magnification and thin crosshairs in a scope. Unless you're suppressed you won't get many shots under 300 yards, as half will go down in their mounds after the 1st shot and by the time you fire 3 or 4 shots they are all down under 200 yards and most will stay down until you move, so most prairie doggers use a 22-250, 243 etc, so they can scare hell out of a few at 350 to 600 yards before moving around the dog town - most don't get many kills pass 350 yards unless the dog gives them a couple sighters, as wind will be a big hindrance to most. My scope is a Leupold 24X boosted to 32X with benchrest crosshairs - I can either see my misses kicking dirt or the dog's reaction to the bullet ground strike with that power, so my next miss will be a little closer on target.

The 223 will easily kill antelope and I would recommend the Nosler 64 grain bonded bullet for the job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12