Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics choice

Feedback Score

Optics choice

Hello all,

I'm picking up a Mk12 and plan on putting Vortex PST 2.5x10x32 on it, I have it on my current 14.5 prescion build.

I'm looking for a replacement optic for the 14.5, the current PST suits me well and I'm thinking of another but can't decide between the 1-8 Strike Eagle and the new PST 1-6. SWFA has the strike eagle in sale with two p mags and a PEPR mount for 450 that's pretty hard to beat.

Anyone have an better options or advice to help drive this descion?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Take a look at the offerings from primary arms...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not sure you can go wrong with either Vortex. I have the 1-6 Strike Eagle and it's not bad but thought the 1-6 PST glass was much better when I looked through it (not really surprising). 1-6 is a nice spread for 14.5 imo.

Feedback Score
    i use a nightforce scope with my Barret m99 and i love it. why don't you know one of the NF scope series.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    What do you want it to do well?
    What size targets do you expect to hit at what maximum range?
    What lighting conditions do you want to use it in?
    What task/condition do you anticipate for 80% use?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    What do you want it to do well?
    What size targets do you expect to hit at what maximum range?
    What lighting conditions do you want to use it in?
    What task/condition do you anticipate for 80% use?
    these are all valid questions you need to ask yourself, and also if you are using it for a competition.

Feedback Score
    I've only recently gotten into shooting longer than 100m

Right now it's very good shooting 8inch steel at 250-300 with the 2.5-10x, but I feel like for a 14.5 it's stupid heavy. I have a rainier ultra match barrel/cmr rail and with the scope on it and a bipod it's almost 11lbs loaded.

I'd like to keep the same capabilities it has currently but have a 1x for speed closer in. I was using 55gr PMC and up to 300 was no issue but when trying 450 I was not consistent at all

95% of its use will be range work and possible training classes.

I don't really know how to the lighting conditions question.. Normal daytime use?

Thanks for the thorough response.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I can't emphasize enough how important the ability to accurately and consistently hold for environmental factors (wind) is to be successful past 300.
    To this end, I vastly prefer to have horizontal indicators of wind holds at distance than any other horizontal reference in a reticle.
    8x will limit the ability of the shooter to self-spot and identify targets past much more than 300.
    Of course, one can still put bullets onto target at long range (1100 meters with an 8x), but being able to see the miss/confirm the hit is a huge advantage.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Based on what you have said, your 1-8 might do you just fine. I've been wanting to try a 1-8 but the one I want is a US OPTICS or possible a Bushnell and the price tag goes up from Vortex world.

I still like what you get from vortex for the price. I just wish they had a more robust external turret but for the price.....

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I agree F2S I am not particularly fond of the bdc type reticle of the strike eagle. I'd rather have a more useful reticle. That's what was pushing me to the 1-6 PST. But I don't think it's enough mag for what I want to do.

I'm going to head to the range tomorrow and use my current scope on 6x and 8x and see how I feel.

I may just purchase another 2.5-10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast