Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Compass lake vs White oak

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post

Are the WOA barrels as good? I don't know because I bought a Bartlein from Compass Lake.
    Perfect !!

I work with Frank on a number of projects, and he never ceases to amaze me at the quality and breadth of his work. Keep in-mind, he is pretty much making custom barrels. He has a few standard profiles that he keeps in-stock. The USMC has used Frank for its SAM-R barrel. I have also purchased barrels from White Oak. They make a great SDM-R barrel. I do believe that they use Wilson barrels. Not a bad blank, but CLE has a wide range of quality and price to choose from.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    White Oak Armory, as Sinister pointed out, caters to the High Power crowd and especially the Camp Perry matches. You'll see a ton of White Oak barrels at Camp Perry, along with other big names, to include Krieger and Lothar Walther. White Oak produces barrels that compete head to head with those makers, and whether it's the sheer number of WOA barrels at the High Power matches or that the barrels are just that good, the winners circle often has a WOA barreled rifle sitting in it.
    Really (again, apples and oranges). White Oak "spins" barrels from blank makers. Kreiger, Lothar are both blank makers. They make specific profile barrels. Yes, Kreiger also makes barrels, but their claim to fame is in the blank, not the final fit and profile. You could find a Krieger blank in a CLE barrel, for example.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    i also have had multiple barrels (wilson and krieger) chambered by both WOA and CLE. nothing but good things to say about both.
    Yea I took it (ended up going cle spr upper with Douglas 1:8 and a lower with a prs stock and upgraded 2 stage trigger) out Sunday and with (cheap) 55 grainers I got a 5 round group a little over moa, with one flyer making it a little over moa, then shot a 6th shot that landed with the rest.

Then used some federal 262 otn 77 grainers and got a 5 round group that I can about cover with a nickel. Hopefully with a better scope and skills I can shrink those a bit.

What ammo would you recommend, I see my gun likes the 77 grain stuff, so perhaps something like the federal 77 grainers?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaroonNeck View Post
    Yea I took it (ended up going cle spr upper with Douglas 1:8 and a lower with a prs stock and upgraded 2 stage trigger)

What ammo would you recommend, I see my gun likes the 77 grain stuff, so perhaps something like the federal 77 grainers?

How long is the barrel? 18"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    How long is the barrel? 18"?
    Yes sir. Well, technically 17.9" (said so on cle website) such an awesome gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    sounds like a nice setup. the 77 gr Black Hills OTM is made for that kind of setup, esp in 1:8 or 1:7. You should do well.

Feedback Score
    sounds like a nice setup. the 77 gr Black Hills OTM is made for that kind of setup, esp in 1:8 or 1:7. You should do well.
    Thanks, I will give them a try

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaroonNeck View Post

used some federal 262 otn 77 grainers

This is pretty much the same thing. Don't go out and buy new ammo.

Feedback Score
    This is pretty much the same thing. Don't go out and buy new ammo.
    I just want to see what groups the best out of it tho, then I can start to shoot farther away.

I am planning on spending about 80-100 on a few different boxes of heavier match stuff until I find what groups the best

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In my experience, the heavier flatter rounds, like the Mk262 will start to shine at longer distances. You will not likely see much difference with quality ammo at 100 yards. For example, 55 grain, from a reputable provider, like M193 will be flatter and faster at 100 yards, but will start to tumble as it becomes transonic past 300 yards. You might find that Federal 55 gr beats the competition at 100 yards. But it is like throwing a donut at 400 yards.

That is one reason I asked about your barrel. 1:8 at 18" will only make a difference beyond 300 yrds. At 100 yrds, a 14.5" quality barrel will do just fine. At 400 yards, the muzzle velocity is just too slow, and will drop. Take your 18" barrel out to 500 yards, and now you will see results with Mk262, or M855A1. The best ammo at 500 yards, IMHO is the 77 gr TIPPED Black Hills.

Hard to explain all the ballistics in short note, but the issues with 5.56mm are 1- wind drift (lighter weight bullet, very susceptible to wind drift, 2- transonic transition (the bullet starts to tumble and loose focus as it passes the sound barrier), and 3 - bullet velocity, which then affects drop, wind drift and transonic issues. In reality, this weapon performs well at 25 to 250 yrds. After that, everything is a compromise, and engineers have created faster twist barrels, 5R rifling, 18-24" barrels, and 77 grain ammo, all to push this platform and projectile beyond its initial design.

It is a fun gun and a fun round to work with, but it is like DOD originally purchase a VW Bus, and asked it to win the Daytona 500. Alot has changed since introduced into the M16 in the 1960s, but at the end of the day, there are better projectiles, like the 6.5 Grendel that can be reverse engineered into an AR-15, if you really want to hit targets at 600 yards. But, I digress.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast