Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SYG Laws working in Colorado

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

SYG Laws working in Colorado

Good for him. I'm glad this turned out in the right for him. But the perp certainly deserves to be a Darwin Award nominee. How dumb to you have to be to break into a Special Forces guy's house?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/28...-day-case.html

A U.S. Army Green Beret who shot and killed a man who entered his Colorado Springs garage at night has been found not guilty of negligent homicide.

In November 2015 Robert Carrigan was shot three times in the back when he entered Michael Joseph Galvin’s home. The defense argued Carrigan lunged for Galvin’s pistol before the shooting, and that Galvin was protecting his family. Attorneys argued over whether or not Galvin’s actions were justified under Colorado’s “Make My Day” law, which protects homeowners who use deadly force against intruders they fear could harm them.

“I think the jury sent a clear message today that if someone is coming onto your property and is stealing things, you have the right to shoot them,” defense attorney Jeremy Loew told KRDO.

District Attorney Dan May reacted, “We’re disappointed. We felt the grand jury brought these charges and we felt there was a basis for that. So yes, disappointed, but we very much support the jury’s decision.”
    Nice that the SYG laws actually worked in this case. And it sounds like the DA won't appeal the decision.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    DA sounds pretty disappointed. I would think he would be glad to have one less criminal in his community.

Why is the local Fox News using the ‘Make My Day’ terminology?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    It's a shame this man had to ever defend himself in court over this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    It's a shame this man had to ever defend himself in court over this.
    Calling it " Make My Day" is just wrong on too many levels.
    How about "Protecting Lives and Property"?
    It seems ludicrous to think someone wants to shoot a thief stealing or threatening your family's safety.
    It's time for a change

Feedback Score
    Glad he wasn't convicted, but agree that he should never have been charged.

Also agree that referring to it as the "Make My Day" law, is a stupid as stupid gets.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    DA sounds pretty disappointed. I would think he would be glad to have one less criminal in his community.

Why is the local Fox News using the ‘Make My Day’ terminology?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    The DA is disappointed because he thinks the criminal got away...

They call it "Make my day" because that's what it's commonly called. It's been referred to as that since it was being debated in '85. It also makes gun owners defending their property sound like Dirty Harry vigilante nut jobs, which the media thinks is absolutely delicious and why they used that name in the first place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Good for him. I'm glad this turned out in the right for him. But the perp certainly deserves to be a Darwin Award nominee. How dumb to you have to be to break into a Special Forces guy's house?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/28...-day-case.html

Nice that the SYG laws actually worked in this case. And it sounds like the DA won't appeal the decision.
    How would the DA appeal the verdict? There's no double jeopardy in this country.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    How would the DA appeal the verdict? There's no double jeopardy in this country.
    A prosecuting attorney may poll a jury at the verdict, but may not appeal the jury's findings. You are correct, as you know, that it would be double jeopardy.

Feedback Score
    Would have been nice if the state was made to pay the defendant's attorney and court fees.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Yes, my bad on forgetting that point.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast