Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tavor .308 on the way

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    IWI US posted yesterday on FB that the gas system is four-position, including Off; that it's short-stroke piston instead of long-stroke; the bottom of the handguard will slide off to reveal a full-length 12 o'clock pic rail, and; the charging handle will be able to be locked back like on HK roller-blowback guns.
    I wonder if they will carry this concept over to the 5.56mm X95?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    IWI US posted yesterday on FB that the gas system is four-position, including Off; that it's short-stroke piston instead of long-stroke; the bottom of the handguard will slide off to reveal a full-length 12 o'clock pic rail, and; the charging handle will be able to be locked back like on HK roller-blowback guns.
    Here is the rest of the Face book post. This is more than just a simple 308 Tavor. Looks like they took a long look at the deficiencies and shifted fire where necessary.

TAVOR 7

Yesterday we posted a "teaser" on our new TAVOR 7 and your response has been huge!

Many of you have asked several questions about this new model. We will attempt to answer some of them here:

Specifications:
    • Caliber: 7.62 NATO/.308 Win
    • Barrel: CHF/CL 1:12 twist with a 16" barrel; 1:10 with 18" barrel
    • OAL: 26.75" with 16" barrel (without flash suppressor)
    • Weight: 8.6 Lbs.
    • Optional calibers & Conversion Kits: TBD
    • Colors: Black, FDE and OD Green

Features (muzzle to butt):
    • Muzzle threads: 5/8 x 24
    • 4 position variable gas regulator (including off)
    • Upper forend: 2 MLOK slots at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock
    • Lower forend: Removable SAR styled forend cover that exposes one integral pic rail at 6 o'clock when removed.
    • Charging handle lockable in open position, similar to an MP5.
    • Full length one piece Picatinny (Mil-Spec) top rail with integral folding BUIS; Tritium front post.
    • Cutlass style grip modifiable to pistol grip with traditional trigger guard; same as X95.
    • Short stroke gas piston (unlike our long stroke SAR and X95).
    • Uses LR/SR25 magazines and comes with one 20-round Magpul PMAG with window (in states without capacity restrictions; 10 round for restricted states).
    • Bolt release is Tavor SAR style along centerline or release from MP5 style charging handle
    • Fire control group is not interchangeable with SAR or X95.

Ambidextrous Features:
    • Ambidextrous bolt; no opposite hand bolt needed for conversion to opposite hand operation. No need to return the gun to IWI US for opposite hand conversion and head space checking.
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) magazine release position like our X95, similar to an AR-15.
    • Ambidextrous charging handle with push through receiver functionality. No need for tools or any disassembly.
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) safety selector with a 45 degree rotation (unlike 90 degrees on our SAR and X95).
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) bolt release behind magazine; similar to the Tavor SAR.
    • Ejection port covers are user configurable in the field with a simple slide of the case deflector.

Launch Date: First shipments projected to start in January, 2018.

Price: TBD
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 06-30-17 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info ^^^

Many will be bummed by this, as current Tavor / X95 won't be able to swap in their Giesele or Shooting Sight triggers ... "Fire control group is not interchangeable with SAR or X95"

I guess the shorter stroke piston helps accuracy, at the theoretical trade off of less vigorous / reliable function. Presumably the adjustable gas flow is the answer for dealing with that.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Actually, they have a stock pile of old Mauser / Mauser-design rifles for the rear echelons / civilians if the worst happens. All those rifles were rechambered in 7.62, so it is "in use."

I know this as I have a WWII Oberdorf Mauser with the nazi eagles peened out, Star of David stamped on the receiver and rebarrelled for 7.62. Did a lot of research on these, supposedly the Irish smuggled them into Israel when the Arab nations were hell bent on annihilating Israel after the state was formed. As a Jew, it's the ultimate "revenge rifle"

In general, the IDF has a bit of a "hodge podge" of weapons in service anyway. They're okay with everybody not having the same weapon systems and there's a lot of small group experimentation with different weapons.

More than you asked to hear I know, so a long-winded way of answering "yes"

I'll wait to see how this rifle tests out, but the sheer idea of 7.62 in such a small package, is really appealing to me.
    I'm aware of their last ditch pass out to every last woman and child stockpiles of WWII small arms, Commie AKs, etc., I was inquiring if the IDF has fielded the Tavor in that caliber and was wondering what role it fills for them.

On a side note, when I happened upon the new IMI/IWI polymer 7.62 NATO mags a year ago I was wondering what weapon system in their arsenal they created the mags for, perhaps it was thought up for the new Tavor, the Galil ACE, or both?

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...+20rd+Magazine
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-01-17 at 04:09.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    On a side note, when I happened upon the new IMI/IWI polymer 7.62 NATO mags a year ago I was wondering what weapon system in their arsenal they created the mags for, perhaps it was thought up for the new Tavor, the Galil ACE, or both?

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...+20rd+Magazine
    Found this, wasn't aware of this one http://www.defensereview.com/israel-...ns-forces-sof/
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Found this, wasn't aware of this one http://www.defensereview.com/israel-...ns-forces-sof/
    They've been out a little while.

I started a thread on those here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-ACE-7-62-NATO
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Here is the rest of the Face book post. This is more than just a simple 308 Tavor. Looks like they took a long look at the deficiencies and shifted fire where necessary.

TAVOR 7

Yesterday we posted a "teaser" on our new TAVOR 7 and your response has been huge!

Many of you have asked several questions about this new model. We will attempt to answer some of them here:

Specifications:
    • Caliber: 7.62 NATO/.308 Win
    • Barrel: CHF/CL 1:12 twist with a 16" barrel; 1:10 with 18" barrel
    • OAL: 26.75" with 16" barrel (without flash suppressor)
    • Weight: 8.6 Lbs.
    • Optional calibers & Conversion Kits: TBD
    • Colors: Black, FDE and OD Green

Features (muzzle to butt):
    • Muzzle threads: 5/8 x 24
    • 4 position variable gas regulator (including off)
    • Upper forend: 2 MLOK slots at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock
    • Lower forend: Removable SAR styled forend cover that exposes one integral pic rail at 6 o'clock when removed.
    • Charging handle lockable in open position, similar to an MP5.
    • Full length one piece Picatinny (Mil-Spec) top rail with integral folding BUIS; Tritium front post.
    • Cutlass style grip modifiable to pistol grip with traditional trigger guard; same as X95.
    • Short stroke gas piston (unlike our long stroke SAR and X95).
    • Uses LR/SR25 magazines and comes with one 20-round Magpul PMAG with window (in states without capacity restrictions; 10 round for restricted states).
    • Bolt release is Tavor SAR style along centerline or release from MP5 style charging handle
    • Fire control group is not interchangeable with SAR or X95.

Ambidextrous Features:
    • Ambidextrous bolt; no opposite hand bolt needed for conversion to opposite hand operation. No need to return the gun to IWI US for opposite hand conversion and head space checking.
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) magazine release position like our X95, similar to an AR-15.
    • Ambidextrous charging handle with push through receiver functionality. No need for tools or any disassembly.
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) safety selector with a 45 degree rotation (unlike 90 degrees on our SAR and X95).
    • Ambidextrous (all the time) bolt release behind magazine; similar to the Tavor SAR.
    • Ejection port covers are user configurable in the field with a simple slide of the case deflector.

Launch Date: First shipments projected to start in January, 2018.

Price: TBD
    I am surprised with how many new features are coming to this version.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    A 308 cal bulpup sounds very snappy in the recoil department.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    A 308 cal bulpup sounds very snappy in the recoil department.
    I found the standard Tavor I had a short time to be quite jumpy recoil-wise. It was surprising because it weighed 8 lbs unloaded. I think it was just so butt-heavy it accentuated muzzle rise/slowed recovery.

I would expect the .308 to be worse about this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12