Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE UGLY: What AR Accessory do you use & like, but have reservations about?

Feedback Score

THE UGLY: What AR Accessory do you use & like, but have reservations about?

Well, we asked about accessories you like (the Good), and the accessories you despise (the Bad), so I guess we'll call this the Ugly.

What AR accessory to you use regularly, and generally will probably keep using, but wish that improvements could be made?

I'm calling this Ugly because you may keep using an accessory that you technically don't like, but there may not be anything better, and that's why you keep using it.

I'll have to say my choice is the Vickers VCAS tactical sling.

I love the durability, the comfort, and the fact that you can adjust the length literally as fast as you can wish for it.

What I HATE: all the little loops and adjustment sliders snag on my FLC vest and other web gear I've worn to the point that I consider this sling viable for carrying a weapon at port arms ONLY if you are also carrying your spare mags only in belt pouches and not a vest. I've actually gone back to the standard 1.25 black military "carrying strap" and have given up the VCAS for now. If I'm "running and gunning" at a match or something, I just won't have the gun slung over my shoulder. Pity, because I really like the Vickers sling. I just can't make it "perfect" like I want it to be.

Touche: to those who say "ditch the FLC vest" I say, "But I like it better than any gear carrying method I've tried." Believe me, I've tried everything from Soviet bra type vests to Blackhawk vests to minimalist belt rigs. I like the FLC vest. Suggestions are welcome.

I just can't divorce myself from the utility of the Vickers VCAS sling, but have to cuss it every time it snags on something attached to my FLC vest.

So, what I would like to see is some way to make the VCAS less snag-prone, or to find a vest that the VCAS glides over without catching on anything.

I guess you could say that because of the issue with the VCAS sling, that my FLC vest is in the "ugly" category also: hate to give it up but it ain't perfect.

What AR accessory do you have a "love-hate" relationship with? And please go into detail, since a lot of things people encounter in the real world are never discussed in company literature or even online reviews.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 08-04-17 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like the MRO, great field of view and controls but the double image past a certain point is bad. It sucks and is bad. I have one shifted target that my right eye sees due to the canted lens, and the 'other' in my left eye. It's fine if you shoot one eye open, and I guess you're supposed to use one eye for longer range stuff, but even then you can see the target shift into the optic when snapping in.

Feedback Score
    For me, it's the FSP. With all the options of flip-up sights anymore, what's the point? Both of my AR's have the standard FSP (my fault for buying with it I guess), and one of them are scoped with a 3-9 x 42mm, and when I dial down to 3x, it can't see "around" it very well. I know they can be removed and a different gas block put in place, but I guess I just don't see the point of manufacturers putting that "ugly" on them anymore.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    For me, it's the FSP. With all the options of flip-up sights anymore, what's the point? Both of my AR's have the standard FSP (my fault for buying with it I guess), and one of them are scoped with a 3-9 x 42mm, and when I dial down to 3x, it can't see "around" it very well. I know they can be removed and a different gas block put in place, but I guess I just don't see the point of manufacturers putting that "ugly" on them anymore.
    Actually, I read a thread several months ago where the author's contention was that the standard fixed FSB is still more robust than anything you could attach to a railed gas block, and that's why it's still valid to purchase a rifle with it. I'll try to locate that thread, but all these months later I don't even remember what forum it was on.

Me? All my AR's have it. I can see a "shadow" of it in the FOV of my ACOG, but no big woop. Since I'm still a "mostly irons" guy I don't mind having the best front sight available already installed.

EDITED TO ADD: Found the article

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-to...e-black-rifle/

I think the best bet for a tough and reliable AR15, at least from a iron sights standpoint, is going to be a iron sight mounted to the barrel via a traditional front sight tower and pinned in place. The classic A2 front sight tower is a forged assembly and because it is attached to the flexible barrel, it is likely to survive impacts without severe peening of the sight assembly as the barrel will flex to absorb some impact.
    He also likes the polymer MagPul BUIS for the same reason I do: the polymer "gives" but doesn't bend like a metal sight. I dropped my carbine right on the MagPul aperture one day. Sure, it got a little mushrooming on one corner, the impact didn't even change the zero.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-28-17 at 17:52.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Geissele rails. They are heavy and shaped funny, but the strongest and most robust out there. The shape of their new MK13/14 are a vast improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "My choice is the Vickers VCAS tactical sling..."

Had to try it, but about strangled myself with the thing. Too many years using the old M1907 sling or its cotton web derivative, I guess. The cheap/frugal GI nylon sling works well enough for the old African Carry (off shoulder, muzzle down). Otherwise the piece is in my hand or in the ATV rack.

Story was that the SAS just left the slings off their FALs in the day because the rifle was supposed to be either in your hand or within reach at all times.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quick adjustable slings fall into my UGLY category. I have three different styles of quick adjustable 2 point slings. I haven't been able to make friends with any of them, but a rifle's gotta have a sling. They've got strap ends hanging all over the place and I haven't the knack of just grabbing the sling and quickly adjusting it. I gotta stop and study things to figure out what I gotta pull in which direction. I rarely bother using the quick adjust feature anymore.

Currently, the sling I'm starting to warm my cockles is the R4 sling I bought from a guy in South Africa. It's webbing is 2.25 inches wide. It's adjustable, but not a quick adjustable type. It's just a tick short for changing mags while around my neck and under my arm, but works fine if it's just around my neck.

The only other thing I like but needs improvement is the old school UBR. I love how I can set the cheek piece right where I want it and that it doesn't move when adjusting the LOP. But it's as heavy as an anvil. I suppose this doesn't count since MagPul has introduced a new, improved UBR and I haven't tried it yet.

The Rhodies went so far as to remove all sling swivels to keep soldiers from developing lazy habits when carrying their rifles on patrol
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-28-17 at 22:59.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    "What AR accessory do you use regularly, and generally will probably keep using, but wish that improvements could be made?"

I will say the standard M4 style stock.
    Not sure if that counts as an accessory due to it being standard on your average AR-15. But I guess it can count, because lots of guns come with some other types of stock.
    Yeah the standard "wobble stock" as I call it. I don't like it at all and greatly prefer the various magpul options but I have one on my "car/truck/trunk" gun because it was thrown together from the parts drawer. They work, but there are so many better options out there, maybe one day I'll swap it for one of those "minimalist" stocks.

I will also add the Badger Tac Latch. I usually swap out the charging handle for a BCM gunfighter charging handle. But that same "trunk" gun has one on it.

The rifle gets taken out and shot every so often. Sometimes as a loaner rifle but really so I stay familiar with it and to force me to maintain it.

*Edit*
    ACOG's! I almost forgot ACOG's, I would improve the eye relief, but that really is my only issue with one of my favorite optics.
    Last edited by Fly8791; 06-29-17 at 06:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The tiny windage / elevation adjusters found on many tube / reflex type red dots. I believe there are a few options to make them much easier yet maintain a low profile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Quick adjustable slings fall into my UGLY category. I have three different styles of quick adjustable 2 point slings. I haven't been able to make friends with any of them, but a rifle's gotta have a sling.

The Rhodies went so far as to remove all sling swivels to keep soldiers from developing lazy habits when carrying their rifles on patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Story was that the SAS just left the slings off their FALs in the day because the rifle was supposed to be either in your hand or within reach at all times.
    I agree a rifle needs a sling. Seems to me the SAS in particular would recognize that. What if you need to evac a wounded comrade, climb a fence, wall, cliff or tree? Or, swim vs. ford?

On the adjustable slings, I prefer the Sheriff of Baghdad B Sling because the adjustment is at the front of the rifle, pull back to tighten if needed. I've never cottoned to reaching to my 'side' and pulling the strap forward to tighten.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-29-17 at 10:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast