Thread: Opinions needed on Colt Commander.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Opinions needed on Colt Commander.

I have been around 1911s the better part of my shooting life and love the platform. I have just came into a series 70 Colt Commander in .45. Now when I got it the sights had been changed for trijicon night sights and the front sight had fallen off now it's in the shop being fixed. Other than that the gun is bone stock. I figure the sites being changed knocked the value of the gun down a bit already.

So because I was thinking of making some other changes, mainly a new beaver tail and safety. Would this damage the value anymore? Should I keep it as is and not worry about it? Or is it already declined to the point where any other changes don't really matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    70 series Commanders are not that rare, they made several boatloads of them.
    Since your gun is NOT "NIB" it's value is primarily as a shooter.

I change mine to suit my shooting requirements.
    Go ahead with modifications to make it user friendly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Shoot it, mod as needed. (Shouldnt need much)

Unless you turn it into a (misguided) pseudo race gun setup, it will keep it's value.

Sights, safeties, etc don't seem to make much difference except for on highly desirable collector guns.

Picked up a reasonably modded LW cmdr recently, it's my favorite. Did not realize how much I missed having a CLW. Mine is a '69, vintage.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Good to hear thanks guys. This is my third Commander the other being a upgraded series 80 that was sadly stolen from me. The other being a new production in 9mm, with that the Colt Commander has to be my favorite handgun platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk