Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chopping 20" USGI A2 barrel to 11.5" is it possible?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I like that you are trying this and did the work yourself. Did you crown the muzzle? What size gas port?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    I like that you are trying this and did the work yourself. Did you crown the muzzle? What size gas port?
    Gas port is .070 right now and it seems to be running fine. I will know more once I get a forend on it and can shoot it a bit more.

If it runs okay and seems to shoot well I'll finish it all up. Refinish, crown, pin gas block.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    .070 should be plenty big even without a suppressor. I'm interested to know how it is suppressed. I suspect pretty good, if maybe a bit of excess gas with 5.56 ammo.

Feedback Score
    Starting at .070" for that port is too large for a starting point for a 11.5" 5.56 AR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright so I bumped the gas port to .072. The gun seemed a little weak with the Monarch steel cased stuff. Not that cheap Russian ammo is a huge priority but I'd prefer to have a barrel that's going to run with pretty much everything without changing a buffer or etc.

We crowned the barrel at 11° and I have it bead blasted and in the phosphate tank now. I'll post up a pic when it is all back together.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    5.6 pounds with no sights, mag or sling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    The base profile isn't really optimal for this option. While it can considered doable, it's not really what most would tend to think of as a preferable option compared to some others.
    The barrel is certainly light and there ain't much extra meat to be found anywhere along its length. I bet this contour is at, possibly slightly under, the Colt Commando profile.

Probably great for carrying around but less than perfect for sustained fire.

Feedback Score
    I commend your work as a first attempt, for constructive criticism though, we could look into some details.
    It's not easy to control bore runout with a 3 jaw chuck, possible, yes, but easier with a 4 jaw chuck using a dial indicator and spud for the muzzle.
    I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at on the muzzle threads, but I should be able to offer some info for some possible options that may have better results.
    The shoulder profile that is left for the MD to seat against is not what we would prefer to have. The forces from the barrel tone combined with whatever MD is added, especially with a possible can could lead to displacement issues and the negatives of misalignment. There are some ways to avoid this by registering to the face of the barrel or crown, some have this option. Better yet for those that can register that way are the common 1/2x28, but 5/8x24 can be better if available for the leftover profile with 80% threads.
    As for the gas block and end cap, there is little or none of a shoulder to interact with at most. For this build, it may be okay with a floating tube, but not for all users.
    With heavier based profile barrels, we can control some of these variables better and we have the option to remove metal to suit a desired profile. When the base material isn't there, our options become more limited.
    As for the BE, if you superimpose the feed ramps of both a rile and M4 in a print, you can see that there are precision ways that we can maintain a good level of precision milling the base rifle BE to be compatible with an M4 type upper with very little polishing, or blending required, compared to some likely less precise options.
    I don't mind the concept of the lightweight 11.5" 5.56 AR for a desired role, I like it enough to have some. I would just rather do this another way to have more options at the end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's alive!

https://youtu.be/nbVAabwYrQQ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://youtu.be/GnqVRQ8-YAw

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast