Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chopping 20" USGI A2 barrel to 11.5" is it possible?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    After seeing the Israeli conversion I wondered about the front sight and never have found much other info on them so wondered if a sleeve was involved or other mods.
    Is there a difference in profile under the handguards between A1 and A2?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is there a difference in profile under the handguards between A1 and A2?

I think the A1 and A2 are the same, but from what I can recall the diameter of the A1 barrel behind the fsb is slightly smaller than the barrel diameter under the fsb or at least that is the case until closer to the chamber.

If that is the case, that is where you get in to an issue trying to use a .625" fsb on either of them.

instead of going off of memory I just measured a late 1990s production Colt A2 barrel and it does not go above .625 inches until several inches back of the current front sight base. Factoring in manufacturing tolerances that could get iffy on trying to produce a carbine out of one.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 07-01-17 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    I think the A1 and A2 are the same, but from what I can recall the diameter of the A1 barrel behind the fsb is slightly smaller than the barrel diameter under the fsb or at least that is the case until closer to the chamber.
    I haven't seen an A1 barrel in awhile but I think they were .625 at the gas block flat.

Anyway it looks like the Israelis chopped their barrels off right at the beginning of the gas block flare so they had something to tighten the flash hider against. Depending on where I cut I might have to make some sort of collar or spacer.

I think I'll be good with the FN barrel I have. It measures .640ish in the area that'll become the new gas block area.

I'll probably start on this Wednesday. I can post pics if anyone cares.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I googled up Menusar.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hebrewh...s-menusar/amp/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some flash hiders can stop on the muzzle and don't need a shoulder, so that's an option.

Port will be mid .07's for 11.5" and .062 for "14.5", you can figure out a good size with that info if you end up with a barrel length between those.

You won't have much or any shoulder behind the FSB for a handguard cap.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I was thinking about adding 2.5" inches to my carbine and making it a Recce XL.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Some flash hiders can stop on the muzzle and don't need a shoulder, so that's an option.

Port will be mid .07's for 11.5" and .062 for "14.5", you can figure out a good size with that info if you end up with a barrel length between those.

You won't have much or any shoulder behind the FSB for a handguard cap.
    I'll probably use a BCM forend if it turns out alright.

Feedback Score
    Not to hijack--but if you crop a chrome lined barrel, doesn't it flake or mess up the crown so it can rust?

And wouldn't drilling a hole for a gas port do the same?

I'm not a machinist, and when I asked one to trim a 20" barrel I wasn't using he said it wouldn't work.

Confusing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    Not to hijack--but if you crop a chrome lined barrel, doesn't it flake or mess up the crown so it can rust?

And wouldn't drilling a hole for a gas port do the same?

I'm not a machinist, and when I asked one to trim a 20" barrel I wasn't using he said it wouldn't work.

Confusing?
    No, any electroplating outside of complete failure, does not chip, peel, or flake. People cut cr lines barrels all the time without issue.

The crown will be bare steel, so it can rust, but not a huge issue as it's either oiled or covered with carbon.

I don't know if anyone that plates the gas port.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-01-17 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    Thank you

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast