Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The story of my overgassed DD MK18 & DD CS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    It really felt like a new gun, with the same Springco Blue, and H2 buffer. It shot amazingly different.
    Other than less gas to face, do you mean there were other improvements in the carbine's performance? I have 2 DD Mk 18s with the oversized ports, but with Surefire SOCOM suppressors, there are zero gas blowback problems with mil-spec ammo. So I was thinking there was no reason to swap mine for the smaller port size... though I have heard there may be reduced recoil or other benefits in doing so.

So what other benefits, if any, did you notice? And would you consider those benefits great enough to be worth the hassle / risk of swapping parts for a smaller port size in a gun where overgassing is not an issue?
    Last edited by Naphtali; 07-22-17 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    Please, no offense, but how do you determine over gassing? Just a question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Please, no offense, but how do you determine over gassing? Just a question.
    Enough gas blows back in your face that it's irritating to breathe or stings your eyes.

Feedback Score
    Would you be open to the option that it may include more than that?

Feedback Score
    Would you be open to the option that it may include more than that?
    Sure, with 3 others being (1) excessive fouling (more of a pain to clean & higher risk of malfunctions if hundreds of rounds are fired w/o cleaning), (2) increased recoil and (3) more rapid parts wear over time. But I don't think these things are what most people are talking about in this thread. It's gas in the face that people complain about at the range.

Feedback Score
    While I can certainly agree that "gas to the face" can be a point. I don't think that aspect is all encompassing for all users. If gas to the face is the major point of this thread, then I bow out.
    I was looking into other characteristics.

Feedback Score
    While I can certainly agree that "gas to the face" can be a point. I don't think that aspect is all encompassing for all users. If gas to the face is the major point of this thread, then I bow out.
    Over gassing will chew the hell out of your brass. I like to reload and don't like to mistreat my brass unnecessarily.

Feedback Score
    This is probably an appropriate thread to voice those other characteristics / concerns. While gas to face is what I hear complaints about in most cases, there are multiple additional potential problems, and most posters in this thread have not specified what they meant by overgassed.

So my guess what they mean is just a guess (no reply yet to my post above asking the OP this exact question).
    Last edited by Naphtali; 07-24-17 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We've never choked a port down for face gas. It's always to smooth the bolt speed for reliability.

Feedback Score
    We could drift this conversation and look into what possible over gassing is or could be? It's probably a better idea to look into those as a topic itself though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast