Thread: Fox hunting

Feedback Score

Fox hunting

If I have a lot of chickens and believe a fox has been outside the coop at night. Just wondering if a 22lr would be enough to drop one. I imagine it would but I am unsure. Would a 223 or 20ga be better. Don't know if I can get one close enough to use w scatter gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A good .22 round will do the job. Every couple of years a gang of raccoons will try to take over my modest estate, and after some experimentation I settled on CCI 40 grain subsonic hollow points as my round of choice. I killed four big ones last year--in the 25 pound range--and all were one-shot kills. I've heard very good things about the "segmented" version of this round as well, but I've never tried them myself.

With that said, a .223 would obviously be "better," and if you're sure of your backstop and have no neighbors that would be unnecessarily disturbed I see no reason not to go that route.

Feedback Score
    That was the other issue I guess if they come from 2 directions I would be fine with 223 but 2 other directions it would cause me some concern which is why I wanted the smaller round.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    FWIW, here's my current nighttime pest gun, a Ruger charger in a PMACA chassis. It has had a weapon light on its rail from time to time (in fact, there's a TLR-3 on it now), but if there is any moon at all it really isn't necessary. I used a 9mm carbine for a while, but in practice this has worked just as well and permits slightly quicker follow-up shots if required.

It's goofy-looking, but it's ideal for my needs. The shorter barrel is convenient because of the geometry of my screened porch, where I wait for four-legged insurgents while avoiding mosquitoes.

Feedback Score
    Goofy looking indeed, but if it works to hell with look. thanks for the reply.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I use a 22 cal air rifles for these things around the house. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/BSA_R_...nut_Stock/4358 Its sub sonic, but still packs a punch. I chrono mine in the 930 fps range. I typically stay inside 60 yards with it. It will shoot in the same hole, and I mean the same hole over and over and over again. I have shot squirrels, skunks, possum, fox, and even a few coons, etc. Does very well for my distance and much quieter for around the house.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Fox hunting

Not sure how I missed this thread and I may be late to the game, but I would highly recommend .17hmr suppressed for what you’re looking to do. A .22lr well placed will indeed drop a Fox, but the .17 will drop it better, and if it moves just as you touch the trigger the .17 will likely disappear into lead mist as it hits the dirt versus the terrible .22 ricochet. The sonic crack is noticeable but usually not heard by anybody more than a hundred yards away...
    Last edited by sandsunsurf; 10-02-17 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    Just got back in from fox hunting. 22 can be fine. I like fur and do a bunch with a 22mag.

Feedback Score
    My Money is on a 20ga, Foxes are crafty and very quick with their foot. i say you need something a little sophisticated to take them down and a 20ga fits the profile.
    a single shot will do the work, i will also advice you to secure your chickens and maybe a scarecrow somewhere nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I use a 22 cal air rifles for these things around the house. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/BSA_R_...nut_Stock/4358 Its sub sonic, but still packs a punch. I chrono mine in the 930 fps range. I typically stay inside 60 yards with it. It will shoot in the same hole, and I mean the same hole over and over and over again. I have shot squirrels, skunks, possum, fox, and even a few coons, etc. Does very well for my distance and much quieter for around the house.
    vouch for this, my friday had a racoon coming to his barn, i guess it was trying to make a home, this is what he did.