Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Project: "The Minuteman"

Feedback Score

New Project: "The Minuteman"

You'll have to forgive the somewhat loaded name on this one. I didn't name it with any patriot/III%/militia connotation in mind. I named it to commemorate my career as a Air Force Minuteman III ICBM launch officer (a career which I recently left for other pastures). The goal was to build a rifle that represented a mix of old and new, like the Minuteman III system.

Aside from that, I wanted a pure KISS project that would be lightweight, rugged, and user friendly- a kind of "everyman" rifle to sit along side my other [more specialized] rifles.

The Concept

I started this project just over a year ago when I generated the concept on Gunstruction. Previously, I had already pursued a similar concept using a 20" BCM upper. But that rifle slowly grew in complexity and add ons with optics and a free float rail (and became my favorite rifle). I still really enjoyed the feel of the MOE handguard, and wanted a crack at a bare bones minimalist rifle that would excel for outdoor use at the range or going for hikes.

Anticipating a rush as the election approached, I purchased the receiver in August (several, actually). I slowly purchased the parts and assembled them, when possible. This is the parts list:

Lower:

• Rainier Arms stripped lower
    • Sionics LPK
    • Hogue Overmold grip without hump
    • Magpul MOE rifle stock
    • BCM rifle buffer tube, spring, and A2 buffer
    • ALG ACT trigger
    • Magpul MOE trigger guard
    • V-Seven short throw safety (non ambidextrous)

Upper:

• Rainier Arms Non-FA stripped upper
    • Faxon 18″ Gunner Barrel (1/8 twist)
    • BCM BCG
    • BCM Gunfighter charging handle (Medium latch)
    • BCM .625 front sight post and handguard cap
    • BCM delta ring assembly
    • BCM Sling Swivel
    • Ashley Performance 1/2 MOA front sight post (with white strip)
    • AAC Blackout flash hider
    • Magpul MOE Rifle handguard
    • Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight

Other Components:

• Precision Armament Accu-Washer kit for muzzle device
    • TAB Gear Sling

Explanation

The parts here are result of my years spent practicing slow-speed practical marksmanship while living in California. Some of them are things that I happened to have on hand in the parts bin, but most were not. I was going for a type of modern M16A1 rifle, which deviated from my usual configuration.

The Rainier Arms receivers have the tightest damn fit I've ever come across. There is zero movement between them. I practically have to pry them apart when I pull the takedown pins. I know it has no real effect on accuracy, but it certainly adds to the overall feeling of sturdiness. I went with the non-FA upper receiver to shave a little weight on something I have never used.

I chose the Faxon 18" Gunner primarily because I like its profile, and I was intrigued by melonite. I realize the treatment has its shortcomings, but I don't plan on abusing this gun at all.

Getting the FSB pinned to the Faxon barrel proved to be the biggest holdup to the project. Very few shops are willing to do a drill/pin job on a melonited barrel. I found two shops willing to do so while I lived on the West Coast, but I was so close to my move to Virginia that I didn't want to risk having expensive parts in the hands of someone else while I moved. Once I got established in VA, I was directed to WAR Rifles in Manassas Park. They took care of it for a fair price, and I will probably go back to them with future projects.

While I really like the clean and slick lines of a low profile gas block and rail, I have come to respect the sheer durability of a fixed FSB. Since this was planned from the get go as a primarily iron-sight rifle, I wanted to make them as useful as possible. The Ashley Performance front sight helps with that by providing a white enameled strip in the middle of the front sight post that helps with acquisition. Furthermore, the front sight is 1/2 MOA adjustable for just a bit more accuracy in the zeroing department.

I had the AAC Blackout on hand, so I used it. I like that it is reminiscent of the old three prong flash hider, so it fits my "Modern A1" concept. I realize that the Blackout does not require timing, but I prefer the flats of my muzzle devices to be vertical (call it OCD). I also know that applying too much torque to muzzle devices can disrupt accuracy. The Precision Armament accuwasher kit lets me use an appropriately sized washer and a bit of Rocksett to get it just right.

I paired this with a DD A1.5 rear sight. For the rear sight, I was torn between the BCM carry handle I already had on hand, the DD, LMT, and Larue. Ultimately, I decided to pursue a set-it-and-forget-it path, and that meant the DD or Larue. I happened to get a pretty good deal on the DD during a sale, so that's what I installed. At some point, I'll have a XS CSAT aperture installed.

I already had the ALG ACT in my spare parts drawer, so I decided to use it. All of my other triggers are Geissele or Larue MBT, so this is the only single stage trigger I'm using at the moment. The ACT is a good mil-spec style trigger, though certainly not as clean as my two-stage units. I expect it is plenty rugged, though, which was the goal.

All of my other ARs have BAD-ASS ambidextrous short throw safety selectors. For this one, I chose to try something different and went with a lightweight V-Seven short throw non-ambidextrous unit. I may end up swapping all of my safeties to non ambi styles. I find that with short throw ambi safeties, my shooting hand's knuckles can easily bump the selector back into the safe position when I'm running quickly or under stress. I'd rather simplify by removing the risk.

The Hogue grip just feels nice in the hand. I have been using BCM Gunfighters for a while, but I really like the A2 shaped grip without the finger hump.

The BCM Gunfighter charging handle was a spare I had on hand from swapping in AXTS Raptors on most of my guns. I've always liked the Mod 4, so why not keep it in the mix?

For now, I've chosen to leave the open rail space on top of the receiver uncovered. Even though I enjoy the pure iron sight concept now, it is hard to deny the advantage that optics provide. I threw an XPS-2 on there for the photo, but if I ever do choose to mount a RDS it will probably be an MRO or PRO.

The TAB sling is a classic shooting sling with the ability to cinch down on the support arm. Again, this is a "Modern Classic," so I chose an older style sling for the job. The TAB was in my parts box, so on it went. I opted for no QD attachments in order to support the ruggedness requirement.

In all, the rifle weighs 6.9 lbs, and balances about a half inch behind the front of the magazine well. For an 18" rifle with fixed stock, it feels very spright in the hands and is very unobtrusive to carry. I could easily see carrying this one on backwoods trips and around mountains.

I'd say I met my goal on this one, and it "only" took about a year from concept to completion.

Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 07-01-17 at 20:30.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    You stole my idea! I have a similar project in the works!

I have a olive drab anodized C7 upper receiver, that I'm going to mate a Faxon 18" Gunner barrel to, with a FSB and a JP Enterprise three prong flash hider to. With MagPul rifle length handguard, MagPul rifle buttstock, and MagPul MIAD pistol grip, in olive drab.

I have an Anderson lower receiver, it's black anodized, but I have olive drab anodized aluminum trigger guard, magazine release button, and takedown and pivot pins. I'm looking for an olive drab ambi safety right now.

I too wanted a KISS rifle, that was a modern twist of the A1 type rifle.

I haven't gotten all the parts yet, as I have other projects going on. But seeing yours, I now know that mine will look more badass then I thought! Which makes me want to expedite the build!

That is one cool looking rifle ya got there!

Feedback Score
    Looks awesome. I like the concept. My friend has the same barrel with a rifle stock, it shoots nice and smooth.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Very nice rifle, concept and write up! How's it shoot? If you can say, were you stationed in Montana?

NC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool. It's like a modernized c7.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I gotta quit playing with scooters and get to building - you have inspired me sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I really like this rifle. It's like the AR-15 version of an FAL or HK91. This is an excellent contribution to the custom build forum. Let us know how it performs.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Thanks, all! I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm happy to inspire others to try something different

I haven't gotten it out to the range yet, but plan to within the next few weeks.

@nightchief, I was indeed stationed at Malmstrom (late 2007 - early 2013). Spent more time out at the schoolhouse and then recently separated to settle on the East Coast.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    @nightchief, I was indeed stationed at Malmstrom (late 2007 - early 2013). Spent more time out at the schoolhouse and then recently separated to settle on the East Coast.
    I went to college and lived in Missoula for 10 years...my favorite place I've lived. Spent quite a bit of time in the Helena/Great Falls area too. Texas is good, but Montana is where my heart is!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Nice build!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast