Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Project: "The Minuteman"

Feedback Score
    Very nice rifle.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to resurrect this a little bit to second the request for thoughts on that Faxon, because I think I like what you're doing here and that's an intriguing profile barrel.

I'll also jump on the "looks good" train, but I'd expect no less from a steely eyed missile man.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTSQRL View Post
    I'm going to resurrect this a little bit to second the request for thoughts on that Faxon, because I think I like what you're doing here and that's an intriguing profile barrel.

I'll also jump on the "looks good" train, but I'd expect no less from a steely eyed missile man.
    Sadly, life has gotten in the way. Even though I finished this rifle in July of last year, I still have not had it out to the range. The only trigger time I had all of last year was a four day course at MVT, and this rifle wasn't one that I brought (I wanted to vet my other three for defensive use). I recently found an indoor range close to my house. As things calm down after a recent home purchase/move, I hope to get it out there (and also test some options for CCW).
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Very nice. I have a similar rifle planned, thanks for sharing your recipe. It is shockingly hard to find pencil profile 18” barrel assemblies with rifle length fsb.

Feedback Score
    Looks very much like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Very nice looking. The markings at the selector are interesting.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    So, finally, I got this one out to the range today for a function check and a sight in.

I only put about 60 rounds through it, but there were no malfunctions (I know...60 rounds doesn't prove anything). I can't speak to ejection pattern or anything since my brass was bouncing off of the lane dividers, which were pretty close together. The handling was lively, and the benefits of a well balanced rifle were readily apparent. The cycling was very smooth, and the sights barely moved off target.

Credit to WAR Rifles in Manassas Park for the quality job pinning of the FSB and upper assembly. Windage was dead on with my DD A1.5 rear sight (which was centered). Unfortunately, I couldn't complete sight in and do accuracy testing. I brought the wrong eye pro (tinted lenses) and that made seeing the sights fairly difficult under the indoor lighting conditions. I also brought the wrong front sight tool for the Ashley sight's 1/2 MOA adjustments, and I didn't want to waste time doing it the slow way (I had other things to do, including testing a pistol I might purchase). The narrow shooting lanes, without a bench to rest things on, also made it difficult to build up a steady position to really test accuracy. That said, there are already plenty of accuracy tests on this barrel out there.

In the end, this was a fun project and I'm glad it shoots great.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle. Cool concept

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123