Thread: My Practical Rifle

Feedback Score

My Practical Rifle

A few years ago I posted a thread about a practical rifle idea I had.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-bolt-gun-idea

Fast forward a few years and I started playing around with Amateur gunsmithing in my Garage. I actually did a mosin psudo scout convertion which turned out very nice. After it was cut down I had functional Iron sights that co witnessed with the red dot optic.

Finding confidence in actually doing this conversion I decided to re barrel my Savage 10FP into my practical rifle instead of selling it out right and picking up a Ruger GSR. Once I crunch the numbers even buying a Barrel vice and the Savage barrel nut tool I could Sell off My Mcree Chassis, the heavy barrel, optic, rings and bases and begin my "conversion" from "sniper Rifle" to some thing a little more practical. I hadn't shot my 10Fp since 2009 according to my log book and it really was a shame to see it sitting in my safe unloved.

For the Mosin conversion I bought a 11Degree crowning tool, and tools from CNC warrior for profiling the barrel and dies for threading. So I bought a used .308 sporter Barrel on ebay. I cut it down to 16.5 and then recrowned/threaded it. I was able to rent head space gauges and them headspaced the barrel, test fired and sent it off to CDI precision to get inletted for a Mag well. I was able to do eveything except the inletting in my garage. Here is what I did and how it is currently configured.

Durakote "can in a can" of Magpul FDE for the metal.

Then Krylon for the stock. So it can be changed with conditions if required.

Started life as a 10FP now is configured:

16.5 threaded sporter barrel in .308 win
    Warne qd rings and mounts steel 30mm
    Vortex 1-6 strike eagle
    A2 flashhider( yes the .30 cal projectiles fit fine)
    CDI Precision AICS Magwell
    Magpul AICS Mags both 10rd and 5rd

I was going to paint the stock loosely based on Swedish M90 camo. I ended up using the stencil set on the Msoin converstion. I chose to just do OD instead.

The hardest was head spacing the barrel, well really the first round I fired was the hardest, lol.

I have been Kicking the idea around of a Red dot as a back up sight since i have QD rings and No irons. Honestly I think an Aimpoint Micro is over kill as a back up sight, I've considered on of the Primary arms(50K) red dot with a removable base and then put on a QD mount.I have experimented with a Bushnell TRS-25 and like it but there are no easy QD mounting options for that sight. A red dot would be light and easy to carry if the scope craps out or the light conditions are not favorable a red dot would be useful. I just haven't settled on which sight to actually get.

Savage1.jpgsavage2.jpgsavage 3.jpgsavage4.jpg

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks great!

Feedback Score
    Looks pretty good to me, how does it shoot? Also, I would be interested in seeing that Mosin conversion.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    The mosin converstion is at the following link.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...14#post2511714

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    Looks pretty good to me, how does it shoot? Also, I would be interested in seeing that Mosin conversion.
    I Havent shot it since completing the paint. I had it set up with an old Aimpoint ML3, at 50yards and a 4MOA dot i was shooting 1inch groups. I had been easily able to hit a 10in steel plate at 300 yards with the red dot. I suspect if capable of much more, for its intended purposes it should do well. I will do some accuracy testing with different ammo soon. i don't expect a sniper rifle accuracy from a sporter Barrel but I should do well.