Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LOWER RECEIVERS QUALITY

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLee0509 View Post
    I've been really happy with an Aero FDE set I picked up recently, Monmouth Reloading always has them at a great price.

I own BCM, Noveske gen 1 and gen 2, Spikes, Anderson and my latest Aero. Comparing them closely, looking at every corner inside and out, I can not find a single difference between my Spikes and Anderson.
    My Noveske gen 1 is one of their latest versions I believe, it is marked 'Safe' and 'Semi', others I've saw have been marked 'Fire'. The forging is quite different than all my other lowers. The Noveske gen. 2 as everybody knows is in league of its own.
    My Aero lower most closely matches my BCM lower....it is slightly different in front of the pivot pin area though but they are very much alike on the outside at least and are my favorites.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
    I have an Aero OD cerakoted upper and lower too. I just noticed the Anderson upper comes stripped and the spikes has a dust cover and forward assist. Ill Probably toss a coin between Spike and Aero.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ...Let me get this straight: out of the several who have purchased Anderson lowers at your club in recent years, every single person has issues with their pins walking? Every single one? ...
    with all due respect to the very very knowledgeable grant and others here, i'd like to add my 2 cents

after building unknown numbers of ARs for almost 40 years, i've seen more than a few poor quality parts

while i prefer products by top tier makers, they aren't always affordable to newbies friends, so inexpensive gear is often purchased

regardling anderson: in the last couple of years i've been involved with a dozen builds using their closed ear lowers and have not had a single issue. none have had pins walk. in fact, after thousands of rounds thru some, for under $50 they have proven to be a pretty darn good option.

maybe we've only been lucky, just saying...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    with all due respect to the very very knowledgeable grant and others here, i'd like to add my 2 cents

after building unknown numbers of ARs for almost 40 years, i've seen more than a few poor quality parts

while i prefer products by top tier makers, they aren't always affordable to newbies friends, so inexpensive gear is often purchased

regardling anderson: in the last couple of years i've been involved with a dozen builds using their closed ear lowers and have not had a single issue. none have had pins walk. in fact, after thousands of rounds thru some, for under $50 they have proven to be a pretty darn good option.

maybe we've only been lucky, just saying...

You could have been lucky. In fact, most people probably are. We also have to keep in mind that there are many other aspects to whether a lower is in spec or not (meaning following the TDP). The dims of the magwell, hardness of the anodizing, grade of alum., thickness of the anodizing, FCG pin holes concentric AND inline with each other, etc. Most of the these items cannot be checked by a home "armorer", nor do they know what they are even looking for.

One of the major flaws and or positives (depending which way you look at it) of the AR15 is that it can be totally out of spec and run. This is how you get companies that do nearly zero QC get mentioned with companies like Colt and BCM that have standards to follow and do TONS of QC.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You could have been lucky. In fact, most people probably are. We also have to keep in mind that there are many other aspects to whether a lower is in spec or not (meaning following the TDP). The dims of the magwell, hardness of the anodizing, grade of alum., thickness of the anodizing, FCG pin holes concentric AND inline with each other, etc. Most of the these items cannot be checked by a home "armorer", nor do they know what they are even looking for.

One of the major flaws and or positives (depending which way you look at it) of the AR15 is that it can be totally out of spec and run. This is how you get companies that do nearly zero QC get mentioned with companies like Colt and BCM that have standards to follow and do TONS of QC.

C4
    well stated. thank you for the insights.

Feedback Score
    All good info. Forgive me I'm typing from my phone, but I'd like to share something somewhat relevant...

I was assembling my new Aero lower the other day using an Aero parts kit and Aero receiver extension assembly. The lower parts kit seemed to be perect while building and it probably will hold up fine.

Keep in mind though I have always used BCM for my buffer tube needs never had an issue with them and I believe it is a very critical component. But, thinking I'd save money this time I bought an Aero kit and while tightening the castle nut to the end plate the nut broke... it literally sheared right at on of the notches.

Long story short I used a spare BCM and all was well. And yes Aero sent me a replacement castle nut in the mail asap. But I have to believe there is a difference between a $40 Aero part vs. BCM's equivalent at $58, rather than just price... I don't know though, could have been a fluke. But it was my first time using their parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I'm not an Anderson fan. Definitly not after today. I've just sat back and watched everyone else talk. I built 2 that turned out perfect couldnt be happier. Then today on my 3rd build with one it happend. Had to file for a while on the rear take down pin hole, both sides quite a bit to get it in, and its still tight as hell. And the spring for the buffer dentent went in but not the dentent its self. Had to drill it a bit. I'm don with Anderson !
    Steve

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I paid a premium for a couple of these lowers a few years ago, but I am fine with that, with no regrets, I wanted what I wanted. They were worth it to me, but to most people they would not be. They are like a fine balanced and blue printed racing engine, *everthing* is to spec and spot on, with no surprises.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Battle-A...15-LR-EDM.html

Battle Arms Development Gen 2 Premium Forged AR15 Lower Receiver

Not all forged lower receivers are created equal. Battle Arms development set out to create the best forged lower receiver on the market at a level not done before in a production level for forged lowers.

Specifications:
    Quality Aerospace 7075-T6 Aluminum Alloy Raw Forging (No Seconds or Improperly Heat Treated Forgings)
    Ultra Precise Wire EDM Cut Magwell for Dimensional Consistency and Reliability (Not CNC or Broached)
    3D High Power, Deep Laser Engraved Logo, Text and Fire Markings Prior to Anodization. Razor Sharp Image Quality (No Logo Blurr or Inconsistent Engraving Depths)
    Precision Reamed to Size Holes for the Pivot Pin, Takedown Pin, Hammer Pin, Trigger Pin, and Safety Selector (Not Simply Drilled to Size)
    Receiver Extension Thread Machined with High Precision and Low Stress Helical Threading (Not Drilled and Tapped)
    Bead Blast & Acid Etch Immediately Prior to Anodizing for Uniform Finish and to Avoid Oxidation and Contamination
    MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2, Hard Anodized Flat Black Finish
    Compatible with TDP/Mil Standard AR Lower Receiver Parts
    Dimensional Accuracy Inspection
    All sharp edges de-burred by hand
    Legacy M16/M4 Selector Stops Removed and Blended Smooth to Receiver (No Trace of Selector Stops Remain)
    Pictograph Selector Markings Properly Marked for 90° Safety or BAD-ASS-ST / BAD-CASS-ST Short Throw Ambidextrous Safety Selectors
    Receiver Safety Selector Hole Machined with Relief Cut for Battle Arms Development "SHORT THROW" Ambidextrous Safety Selectors
    Multi Caliber Marking for Build Versatility
    Deep Magwell Bevel Cut
    All Components, material, and packaging made in the USA
    That wire edm was controlled by what? I'm guessing a computer that was using numerical control. Sorry if this is petty, just kind of asinine that people don't know what they are talking about sometimes. It isn't a clip, it's a magazine. Cnc isn't just for vertical mills.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    For the money, I'd recommend Sionics from Tombstone Tactical. Both companies are solid, and I couldn't be happier.
    Seconded. I just used my last stripped SIONICS lower, need to pick up some more.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mega makes the best forged receivers I've used in terms of fit, finish, and overall machining.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    No one making 6061 lowers deserves any of your time or money.
    Hmmm, almost all of the original M16 were made from 6061.

6061 if more than adequate, strength-wise.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast