Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LOWER RECEIVERS QUALITY

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only fitment issues I've had with lowers are the Aero lowers I bought last year. Its not that they have serious problems, its that the grip and trigger guard fit slightly differently. The grip doesn't fit as well compared to my other lowers and the trigger guard fits slightly differently exposing the sharper edges of the trigger guard slightly.

I've always tried to buy quality I have probably 3-4 Noveske Gen 1 lowers and two Noveske Gen 2 lowers I bought years ago. I have two BCM lowers that were built, I have an LMT that was built. A Mega, 2 Aero, and 2 Ruger that came stripped (nicely finished BTW). The nicest is the Noveske forged Gen 2s, followed by the BCMs, then Noveske Gen 1s, the Mega and Rugers are next, then the LMT, and last the Aeros.

The Rugers and Aeros are newly built so I haven't put many rounds through them yet, so far I don't see any issues. I bought the Rugers and Aeros toward the end of last year when the AW Ban (Commiefornia) was about to go into effect so there was a short supply.

I don't believe that all lowers are created equally, so don't buy the cheapest or most expensive unless you just want a fancy lower to show off.

The most important receiver is the upper receiver. And if you stick with BCM or Vltor MUR, you can't go wrong. The BCM has a very tight barrel fit which requires (most of the time) a slight heating of the upper to get the barrel to slide in. This is a good thing. The Vltor is thicker and consequently heavier. But this makes for a stiffer upper receiver which reduces flex and, consequently, wear on the operating system and may improve accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    anderson = walking pins... several folks at our club purchased andersons over the last few years going against recommendations. All now have hammer and trigger pins that walk and require a kns pin set to keep them functional.

Don't waste money on low tier crap...
    The KNS anti-walk pins and stuff costs as much as just buying a quality receiver in the first place. So now you have the same investment in a crappy lower and you would have with a quality lower.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-04-17 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack! Wonder View Post
    Do yourself a favor and do some research....anderson ranks at the bottom along with dpms, bushmaster, rra, etc.
    With respect to Anderson LOWERS, when one takes into account the sheer number they sell versus the amount of negative reviews on the net, the chances of getting a functional, in spec lower are high; never mind the positive reviews.

KAC is tier one. I wonder why you didn't recommend he go searching for one of their stripped lowers.

** Not a knock on KAC. They screwed up and have admitted as much. And it isn't indicative of their brand.

Point is, EVERY SINGLE COMPANY has and will continue to put out lemons and substandard products. If one takes on every negative experience they read on the internet as their own, there would be no one left to buy from. That is why one must do their research; keeping things in context and putting them into perspective.

And this is where I bow out. This is a circular debate that will go nowhere. Believe what you wish.

OP, you won't get any points from the cool kids for having an Anderson, but they work. Period.

As I said before, find lower with a rollmark you enjoy and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by phixion; 07-04-17 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    With respect to Anderson LOWERS, when one takes into account the sheer number they sell versus the amount of negative reviews on the net, the chances of getting a functional, in spec lower are high; never mind the positive reviews.

KAC is tier one. I wonder why you didn't recommend he go searching for one of their stripped lowers.

** Not a knock on KAC. They screwed up and have admitted as much. And it isn't indicative of their brand.

Point is, EVERY SINGLE COMPANY has and will continue to put out lemons and substandard products. If one takes on every negative experience they read on the internet as their own, there would be no one left to buy from. That is why one must do their research; keeping things in context and putting them into perspective.

And this is where I bow out. This is a circular debate that will go nowhere. Believe what you wish.

OP, you won't get any points from the cool kids for having an Anderson, but they work. Period.

As I said before, find lower with a rollmark you enjoy and you should be good to go.
    I neglected KAC simply because they just recently released lowers for sales and I haven't got that locked into memory yet.

If one wishes to discuss low tier, commercial grade equipment, a better place to do so would be TOS. Lots of folks there have group sessions rationalizing why it's ok to buy low tier, non-serious use equipment.

If one spends enough time hear reading thru the equipment threads, they too will soon become enlightened.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 07-04-17 at 18:44.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    Because I haven't seen it addressed, only a few companies forge receivers. There are a few opportunities for defects.

Many places machine them from the raw forging to the final dimensions.. More opportunities for defects.

Finishing again makes a few opportunities for defects.

Who performs these tasks, the specs they are given, and their methods/techniques, etc all make a difference in end product quality and variability.

The more qc/qa along the way, the less likely you get a bad receiver. Yes, chances are you will likely get a good one no matter who you pick, but the chances of getting a dud are greater with lower priced items (generally).

They are not all the same with a different roll mark.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-04-17 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Because I haven't seen it addressed, only a few companies forge receivers. There are a few opportunities for defects.

Many places machine them from the raw forging to the final dimensions.. More opportunities for defects.

Who performs these tasks, the specs they are given, and their methods/techniques, etc all make a difference in end product quality and variability.

The more qc/qa along the way, the less likely you get a bad receiver. Yes, chances are you will likely get a good one no matter who you pick, but the chances of getting a dud are greater with lower priced items (generally).

Since we're using generalities, they ARE all the same.. generally speaking, of course.

** and so its understood, in all of my posts, I'm arguing the point.. not the person.
    Last edited by phixion; 07-04-17 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

As they say, I could not have said that better, than if I said it myself. I think *usually* (not saying you have to spend big bucks on one), the old saying that you get what you pay for still applies.
    Last edited by Biggy; 07-04-17 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let me get this straight: out of the several who have purchased Anderson lowers at your club in recent years, every single person has issues with their pins walking? Every single one? Okay.

Low tier crap? Sigh.. it's not even worth the effort.

OP, just pick a lower with the rollmark you like best and chances are you'll be good.

OP, ignorance this advice. It is incorrect and couldn't be farther from the truth.

Get yourself a good quality, properly spec'd lower from one of the manufacturers mentioned prior to the above post and you will not have any issues.

Don't take advice from anyone in the 'a lower is a lower' crowd. The outrageous claim that the only difference between lower receivers is a roll mark is nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Since we're using generalities, they ARE all the same.. generally speaking, of course.

** and so its understood, in all of my posts, I'm arguing the point.. not the person.
    Just to be clear, you are arguing that the defect % that gets into customer hands is the same for all lower receivers?

My "generally" is to accommodate for market variations and a few outliers. Paying more doesn't mean more quality, but higher quality costs more to produce and the customer usually sees that.

The op sounded like he was under the impression a handful of companies made all the lowers, that's not the case.
    The machining differences of different lowers has been discussed and compared as well.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-05-17 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
    OP, ignorance this advice. It is incorrect and couldn't be farther from the truth.

Get yourself a good quality, properly spec'd lower from one of the manufacturers mentioned prior to the above post and you will not have any issues.

Don't take advice from anyone in the 'a lower is a lower' crowd. The outrageous claim that the only difference between lower receivers is a roll mark is nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When asked about which lower to buy, who said this:

"As long as mags drop free and the dims are correct, I don't think it matters. What is much more important are the internal inside of it!"

Look, I'm not advocating against those mentioned brands. My point is this: for people to tell the OP, essentially, that unless he sticks to those mentioned brands of lowers he would be buying junk, is disingenuous.

Now, the OP didn't specify whether he wanted a stripped lower or a complete one. If buying complete, I certainly would push for those mentioned brands as the internals are likely to be of a high quality.

But for a stripped lower, like the person quoted above, as long as its in spec and the mags drop free, they are essentially all the same.

Oh, and to put a name to the quote above, it was C4IGrant.

And just so its clear, my arguments are strictly about stripped lowers, which seemed to be what OP was asking about.

Once again, I bow out. For good this time.

OP, good luck with your choice and enjoy your new build.
    Last edited by phixion; 07-05-17 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    I think the quote by Grant is right on the money. However, the chances of getting a bad one typically increases with lower cost. It's not just about volume. Good manufacturing processes and QC will catch a lot of issues so the end user won't have to. This costs more money. How much is YOUR time worth? Didn't realize that you could do QC at home in your spare time for free?

Sure, every MFG can send out a bad product, but it is far more likely with the inexpensive brands, and they could also hang you out to dry with regard to warranty and/or replacement as well. Or, they'll keep sending out a defective replacement until you want to cry and give up. Seen it first hand.

For the money, I'd recommend Sionics from Tombstone Tactical. Both companies are solid, and I couldn't be happier. As it relates to the aforementioned scuttlebutt, three of the Sionics lowers replaced lowers that had issues related to FCG hole location. One was sent to Geissele for troubleshooting because their SSA trigger didn't reset and they determined it was the lower. Another didn't have enough clearance on the mag well side to allow hammer install, and yet another wouldn't allow installation of the trigger with the safety installed. A few quick measurements is all that it took to discover the hidden cost of low prices.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast